ADVERTISEMENT

NIL deal for a 2023 5*, but still playing high school ball this fall.

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The publication - The Athletic - has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”

NCAA rules say that NIL deals cannot be “pay-for-play” in exchange for a prospect signing with a school.
that the $8 million deal avoids violating the rules by not mentioning a requirement to enroll at any specific university. The deal does not mention any school by name, per Mandel’s report.

Reactions from fans and media varied. Some applauded the athlete for inking a big payday, while others expressed concern about college football’s future.

Since the kid's name is not mentioned, many are speculating it's a QB from CA......apparently CA allows for high school kids to do NIL deals and still play..................

Last edited:
Oh my, this will be a shit show. I still maintain if College Football truly cared about players (employees), then they'd earmark money for health insurance covering established injuries received while participating in their sport for the college. In other words; recorded injuries, including number of concussions.

Of my 10 NAIA teammates who got together in Texas during the start of Covid (limited the number who attended) we counted probably 20+ operations post college, directly related from injuries in college.

Oh my, this will be a shit show. I still maintain if College Football truly cared about players (employees), then they'd earmark money for health insurance covering established injuries received while participating in their sport for the college. In other words; recorded injuries, including number of concussions.

Of my 10 NAIA teammates who got together in Texas during the start of Covid (limited the number who attended) we counted probably 20+ operations post college, directly related from injuries in college.
Stop by the Burnt Store Publix, and the Charlotte High Band was playing out front of the store....trying to raise money. I asked one of the parents what specifically they were raising money for and found out that being a high school band member is expensive! 250.00 annual dues just to in the marching band, and there were many many other cost after that......i was somewhat shocked! I guess things have changed significantly from when i was in school, where fund raising was done only to allow for trips to competitions or prades.......I also didnt realize the tarpon fight song was the same as manatee's...... heard from a young lady that was at charlotte high school until recently, as she is now goimg to a charlotte county college prep school? Anyway she text me to let me know she had been accepted into a exchange program. And will be heading to the far east next year to do her senior year. She has a lot of at home pressures, in that neither of her parents speak english and they depend on her to help navigate things because to the language barrier.....really pround of her, because there was a time last year when she had become really discouraged about things.....good and smart kid.....for me it always just about getting opportunities....im expecting good things from her in the future and was nice knowing that she thought enough of me to let me know about her acceptance into the program!

Reactions: MarkECannon
My coach brought the Ohio State fight song to CHS in 1969.

Do you remember when they did Pay to Play around the state a few years ago?

CHS is a great academic school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT