ADVERTISEMENT

MULBERRY 14 FROSTPROOF 7

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
What?! Frostproof @ Mulberry? I wasn’t really excited about the top matchup games in our area so I decided to drive 30 minutes to the Phosphate Bowl on Mulberry High’s campus. Mulberry is pretty much a straight shot from my house in Valrico driving east on SR 60.

The Mulberry Panthers and Frostproof Bulldogs play in the 2S District 13 that includes the Fort Meade Miners. The winner of this game will probably be the runner up for the district.

There was nothing spectacular about these 2 teams. The probable difference in the game was the lightning speed and tenacity of Mulberry’s senior QB, Dyvonique McWilliams. Frostproof opened the scoring on a looping pass that was beautifully caught over the shoulder in the corner of the end zone by sophomore Albert Plain. Plain is not very big, 5’ 10” 150 lbs. but he is fast, coordinated and can catch. He might be someone to watch.

The Panthers answered with the speedy McWilliams running around the right side for 65 yards. When he turned the corner, he saw daylight and took off like he was racing in a track meet. Mulberry scored the winning touchdown after they downed a punt at the Frostproof 1 yard line. The Bulldogs failed to make a first down so they had to punt out of their end zone leading to Mulberry starting with excellent field position. A few plays later they scored.

That all happened in the first half. The 2nd half was dominated by both defenses and untimely turnovers. If either of these teams make it to the playoffs I could see them maybe making it past the first round but no further.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
Have you seen Fort Meade play yet? I remember as a kid my dad telling me about the Phosphate Bowl, may have been 1974 on our way to watch Manatee play Winter Haven as I recall...... Anywho I watched them play Sarasota the 1st game of the season, and they pretty much dominated Sarasota physically. Don't have a particularly large number of players, but they have a back that has solid size that runs with authority north and south. Did just enough in the passing game, that I can see where teams could run into trouble trying to stack the box against them.

I keep looking for good opportunities to go to see them play. Would have went there last night but their opponent was 0-6. There were Ft Meade fans at the Phosphate Bowl last night.

I've seen those Miners play a time or two... They had a fella named Cornelius I think who was a pretty good athlete back around 2000...

If I'm not mistaken they won a State Title and played for a two in that span...now those players kids are playing for the Miners...I'd bet they are pretty dang good!

Love that Florida football lineage. Immokalee: I played against Walter James, who my teammate Burton Lawless (OG with Dallas for three Super Bowls), told me almost made the Cowboys. Then there was Edgerrin James, then there was his nephew who played against my youngest in High School, all were damn good running backs for Immokalee.

Love that Florida football lineage. Immokalee: I played against Walter James, who my teammate Burton Lawless (OG with Dallas for three Super Bowls), told me almost made the Cowboys. Then there was Edgerrin James, then there was his nephew who played against my youngest in High School, all were damn good running backs for Immokalee.
Coach Weber was the GOAT of Immokalee Football. He made them boys run sprints after every game.

Reactions: Silver King
While at Frostproof vs Mulberry game in October I spoke to a former Mulberry player who told me about some of the better Panthers of the last few decades. He told me the story of a player whose family’s house was destroyed by fire. Well, Deion found out about it. Deion helped the family get back on their feet by providing new housing and the basics. The young man graduated from high school and continued to move on with his life. I wish I remembered the player’s name but I was shown a picture of the player and his family with Deion.

Tomorrow night #8 seed Mulberry visits #1 seed Bishop Verot. Tough draw for the Panthers.

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT