ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 51 Lakewood Ranch 14 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Running clock on this one, says about everything you need to know about this game.

Go Canes Go!

Some thoughts about the game against Lakewood Ranch. Before everyone returned on the OL, I had posted a critique about the RG play......which the staff eventually corrected by moving Maurice into that position once Armstrong returned to his OT position. What the staff has done since then and I believe was a ingenious move was to move the young man that was having issues at RG, and put him a H-back role. He's absolutely excelled in that role and this past week saw his snaps at that position expanded! I'd like to see the coaches to continue to try to expand his role, because he's definite +++ with his contribution at the H-Back!

Dunbar being healthy for the remainder of the playoffs, is critical in order for the running game to be successful. I believe he is Manatee's best RB at this point, despite his limited carries thus far. He and Jones as a RB duo makes Manatee's running game a nightmare for opposing defenses. It needs both though, so again keeping Dunbar healthy cant be understated!

The other Dunbar from the LB position, is a player! The collective play of the DB's remains a major concern.....number of things to touch on, sometimes I wonder if it might be easier to simplify things in as far as concepts......but if the DB play doesn't improve its going to become a vulnerability further into the playoffs.

Unrelated note: Last year after Venice lost to Manatee during the regular season, Peacock went exclusively to Stephon Johnson at the QB position and basically ran the hell out of Johnson during the playoffs from the QB position until he ran into STA in the Semis. I noticed that Venice's last regular season game after losing to Manatee once again this year, he had Johnson once again at the QB position. Peacock abd his staff has always struck me as excellent with teaching fundamentals, but no where near as good at his x's and o's. His offense schemes have always been bland and easy to diagnose.......he's guys are just so well coached at doing what he wants.....if he ever got a true offensive mind to join him on the sidelines he would definitely elevate the Venice offensive product. But it looks like that is what Peacock is going to do going into the playoffs this year once again......run Johnson at the QB and be physical on offense. I think losing to Manatee gets inside Peacock's head big time!

Go canes Go!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT