ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee-46 Charlotte-7

JonMHS

Aug 21, 2001
Not much to say about this one. Two Teams that are going in opposite directions! Manatee goes to (3-0). Next up (2-0) Braden River at home…..

Game went south for Charlotte as Mark Cannon said last week "as soon as toe met leather", 13 seconds later it was already 7-0 Manatee and then 52 seconds later it was 9-0 Manatee. This was the type of evening it was going to be for Charlotte, I want to say all 36 first half points Manatee scored was done with Manatee being gifted a short field.

Manatee offense played perhaps its worst game of the year as it came away multiple times with zero points despite starting with a short field and despite the final score....... some of the credit needs to go to the Charlotte defense as it played the entire game with a collective major chip on its shoulder!

Regarding a certain player on defense, he played only 1 half. That 1st half of play saw him get 5 total tackles, 1 solo tackle and 4 assisted tackles...(2 of those assisted tackles came on special teams play). He was also pancaked 3 times in the 1st half, 1 of those resulted in him being called for a unsportsman like conduct penalty, as on that particular pancake he didn't care for the manor which the Charlotte Offensive lineman introduced him to the turf....the other 2 pancakes were done by #33, the Charlotte TE.

Charlotte has some things it has to figure out personnel wise, on Charlotte's final drive of the night it scored and it seemed several of the players that I had seen on defense for Charlotte most of the night were now playing offense? On that series I thought the Charlotte offense play rather fluidly. Now they were going up against mostly JV players that had played the night before in its 41-0 win against the Southeast JV at that point, but I thought #4 for Charlotte displayed nice vision and speed on that drive and he also got some nice blocks on the perimeter as well!

Congrats to the Hurricanes. But, this will happen when you lose the only two QBs, half your OL in the first game, starting quite a few sophomores and using our best WR and S as QB with less than two weeks to learn the position. And this is a good time to throw out an old Wavebb-ism: "We’re Small, Unathletic and Deceptively slow."

Of all the years to schedule 9 playoff (3 Regional finalist) teams, this wasn't the one. But if we can get a QB healthy for weak District play the last half of the season, it may end on a more positive note.

Last week I referenced the two games that Manatee opened by running back opening KO's - and those Tarps teams had much better athletes. So if I had to make the call, I probably would have onsided the opening KO.

Last edited:
Defense played well. Offense is a work in progress. I think Green plays too many skill players. It's a nice problem to have but there seems to be no consistency or flow at times. QB Andrew Heidel has a very good arm and made several great throws for TD's. He has to continue to grow and improve. Consistency is the issue right now. Tough game next week against Braden River....
Charlotte has better days ahead of them. They will hopefully get better as the season goes on.
Proud tradition and program down there!

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT