ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 28 Braden River 23 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee went up 21-3 at half but allowed Braden River to come back and take a lead 23-21 with 6 min left in the 4th QT. Manatee took the kickoff and march the ball quickly down the field, and scored a TD to regain the lead 28-23. Braden River had a opportunity to perhaps make something happen, but fumbled the ball in Manatee territory. Manatee ran 3 plays and punted the ball back to Braden River........with about a little over a minute left in the game. Unfortunately for Braden River a sack pretty much ended their chances with about 7 seconds left in the game.

Manatee got 2 players back on offense.......ASU commit Armstrong saw his 1st action of the season, and it subsequently allowed Manatee to move Derek Maurice to RG. The offense line looked the best its looked all season, but still has room for improvement. Manatee also saw Jabari Dunbar return to action at RB as he scored 2 TD's tonight. Dunbar reminds me of Eric Dickerson, with his size and running style, while I wouldn't say he's a speed demon he has has nice cutting ability and quickness.............for me I could easily see playing both Jones and Dunbar in the same backfield, surprised the coaches hadn't come up with some play sets that would have allowed both on the field at the same time.

Defensively I still see instances where the LB's and DB's don't appear to be laser focused on what's going on. Lot of blown coverage, that Braden River wasn't able to take advantage of tonight. Manatee is still very much a work in progress.

Big win regardless, Manatee's struggled recently with Braden River. I saw at half Venice was down 27-7 to American Heritage. I see now its 41 -26 in the 4th QT. Strange as I was under the impression Heritage had lost there QB and was struggling offensively? Manatee takes on Venice next week

STA lost also!!

Cardinal Gibbons is a quality program so I wouldn't read too much into that, STA struggled in a win over TRU Prep Academy last week as well. I watch Manatee play, and wonder to myself how much not having a spring or summer 7 on 7, is negatively impacting over-all team performance as well as some of the other traditional powers around the state? Edgewater lost to Jones by a convincing score last night......Jones played in the state title game last year, but not sure about their personnel this year? I watched Edgewater against IMG and thought they actually played IMG better than Venice did.......so just looks like a lot of head scratching scores last night.

Venice passing game is no joke and if Manatee continues to get the kind of play at the DB position like is has the last few weeks, it could be a long night for Manatee defensively. Venice's defensive front and over-all talent on defense is going to be the best Manatee has seen this season. I gotta say I still just don't get some of the substitutions or play calling that is taking place with the Manatee offense? I find some of the substitutions...(particularly at RB mid drive) disruptive to the offensive flow. Lot of missed blocks happening and its happening with multiple positions and I find that concerning. This is a big Manatee offensive line, but if your not getting those big bodies on someone each and every play, you lose the net affect of having a big OL as well as it being disruptive for the play call. Like I said in my 1st post about the game.......Manatee's hasn't come close to its potential yet and continues to be a work in progress.

Yes, Manatee has not put four quarter together all year. If they don't next Friday it might get ugly against a very good Venice team. This coming Friday would be a nice time to put everything together. Manatee has too much talent not to be playing better than they do at times. Like all teams, shutting down football this off season really hurt them. They are behind in a lot of areas as is for many teams.

Now about the game. I agree with you about the substitution situation. Very frustrating! Coach Shakir at one point got pissed at his coaches and yelled at them on the sideline when he had to call a timeout because they couldn't get the right players on the field. I also thought we went way to conservative on offense to start the second half especially after Braden River scored. Manatee can really throw that football and that will probably be our strength this year. Having Jabari Dumbar back at RB really helped. He had a good game last night. Also losing two possible starters at guard before the season started has forced #66 Cameron McCloud to be moved over from defense to left tackle, a position he has never played before. So having to shuffle players around all year has hurt continuity. With Armstrong back now, last night was the first time we put an offensive line on the field that they think will give us the best chance to be successful going forward. Offensive play calling has to get better going forward. Next week will be a big challenge for them! They have to keep getting better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT