ADVERTISEMENT

Internal "Offers"

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
If I were a head coach at a school with thousands of students going into spring ball, here's what I'd do.

If my OL was small (in context):

Find the 5-8 biggest guys on campus who do not play football. They are there. Send them "Varsity Offer" letters that state if they get through spring practice and keep their grades up, they are guaranteed a varsity spot the next fall.

This is better than transfer-ins. One of my best friends (6'4, 300, athletic) never played a lick of football. I should have recruited him onto the team myself.

I'm confused. Are you expecting that 5'8" kid grow 5 inches over the summer? You can always add on weight and muscle but not necessarily height. A 5'8" lineman would struggle in most classifications in Florida.

I'm not sure that plan would work to attract players or improve your team.

Choc, he had me fooled for a bit too. I think he means five to eight guys and not five foot eight guys. But I could be wrong.

If I am right, it is actually a good idea. At schools with 2,000 or more students, there are numerous guys with the ability who for one reason or another decide not to play. And it is not just on the line positions ...

There's always a chance, but it's a slim one.

You have to get to them in ninth grade, tenth at the latest. Then, if they have any athletic ability, at least you can teach them the game in time to get solid reps by the time they are Juniors.

There's usually a reason why they haven't been playing up to this point. They've always been bigger than the other kids in their grade, so if they liked competing, then they would already be playing. Chances are, they're soft, or lazy, don't have the temperament for team sports, or gay.

Not that gay dudes can't play, but if they're effeminate, I wouldn't bet on them buying into the football life. Just cause you're big, don't necessarily mean you're a player.

Kind a on the order of what BP says, me and one of our coaches were talking about this today while jetting in pilings at the Fish Camp. He said they don't pursue kids who don't want to play, because it's not for everybody. There are usually reasons. You walk around any high school and there are some pretty good looking kids who aren't playing sports.

By the by BP, I had an openly gay teammate - best dancer on the team and was a heck of a DT, best pass rusher I have played against. You play hard and help a team win and your teammates will accept most anything.

Originally posted by Silver King :
By the by BP, I had an openly gay teammate - best dancer on the team and was a heck of a DT, best pass rusher I have played against. You play hard and help a team win and your teammates will accept most anything.
Pretty amazing considering the era. I've found in my life, big assed dudes that can play DT can pretty much do what they want among their peers. I'm sure most of his peers didn't care who he was, um, dancing with, relieved that it wasn't them. Lots of folks have a whole lot to say about alternative lifestyle, until they have to look up into a MAN'S face and say it.

I know the high school basketball coach was drooling watching my 6'6" nephew walk down the halls. But, he couldn't convince him to join the team. My brother-in-law is a bigger sports fan than me so you know it broke his heart that his son did not have the same interest. But, the kid graduated from Miami with two major and minor degrees and is waiting to hear from medical schools.

Not everyone is meant to play sports!

Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. I used OL because it's the easiest- find the 1-2% enrollment that is 6'3+ 260+

I think "offer" letters would be a cool spin. That's motivation

I like the idea of "offer" letters. Why not send one to everyone in the program as a motivator to keep working hard during the "build" season. A well worded piece could help the players stay in the groove and inspire goal setting.

I think I'm going to talk to the HBC about it.

I think they are a good idea also. But, giving one to an unproven player could be risky.

An offer letter would sure inspire a freshman or JV player to do the best they can.

My HC one time saw this 6'2-200lb Freshman that had never played football in his life. The kid came out, wound up 6'4" 250lb 2nd team all-state Sr. Full scholly to New Hampshire, 2 time first team all conference. Would have never thought of going to college before football, earned his degree. He was a good git!

The letter is a great idea. You never know what your going to find either for your team or for the kid.

Okay I am sorry but I Couldn't help to think how long it would be before one of these "offer letters" ended up in the hands of a player on an opposing team LOL.

I like the idea though.

I'm sure IMG has a nicely crafted letter LOL.

For real though - it could start with the players recruiting kids they know are good when playing yard ball....

There are a lot of kids that don't play that should. You NEVER know what somebody's got until they hit the field with pads. Maybe start with "soft offers" for spring ball.

Heck, find athletes from other sports. Soccer: kickers.... wrestlers: hogs/LB .... track: skill positions .... basketball: WR (deep threats).... I'm generalizing here but you get the picture. I think this would be best implemented with linemen (aka: my example above. simply find the biggest guys on campus out of thousands).

This post was edited on 3/16 4:37 PM by Pipe Dreams

I can see it now on a HSFB coaches resume for a college job....

-Recruited 8 student athletes within the general school population who received college football scholarships from 2015-2021.

RECRUIT FROM WITHIN....

Maybe its all a Pipe Dream.

The always lovable retired Sarasota Riverview Ram Head Coach John Sprague recruited a tuba player from the Kiltie Band to play OL by the name of David Baas.

You have to recruit athletes from other sports within your school because their coach is telling them to concentrate on only one sport. I think a quality athlete can play many sports and succeed at all of them.

Originally posted by Hokie Hey:
My HC one time saw this 6'2-200lb Freshman that had never played football in his life. The kid came out, wound up 6'4" 250lb 2nd team all-state Sr. Full scholly to New Hampshire, 2 time first team all conference. Would have never thought of going to college before football, earned his degree. He was a good git!

The letter is a great idea. You never know what your going to find either for your team or for the kid.
Coaching JV football years ago, kids came out in shorts and there was one kid who was well put together. He was about 6' and I bet he was 220. All neck. I just envisioned us running sweep and belly behind his down blocks up and down the field.

Kid got hurt during agilities first day and never came back......

One year, our school mascot from the previous year showed up at spring practice.
He ended up starting in a bunch of games that following fall.
That might have been a statement on the talent level of our team, but it happened just the same.

Back when I played we had this kid they called Rubberhead - he was kind of a "Head" in the vernacular of the day. His mom made a sequined Tarpon outfit with a hood that looked like an actual Tarpon's head. He'd wear boxing gloves and flippers on his feet and when we'd get in the Red Zone the band would strike up "The Horse" and he would break down in the Funky Chicken (a dance of the day). The guy was 6'1" 235 and could move like someone on soul train. We often said he might have been a pretty good ball player, but man did he get the crowd up.

The Horse

I would send them letters and say that they are a preferred walk-on. On first spring practice crank up the music and have them come out as if it is game night, fire extinguishers and all. Invite the student body, parents, and alumni. Be creative as some in the student body maybe pumped enough from this event to join.

Originally posted by Pipe Dreams:
If I were a head coach at a school with thousands of students going into spring ball, here's what I'd do.

If my OL was small (in context):

Find the 5-8 biggest guys on campus who do not play football. They are there. Send them "Varsity Offer" letters that state if they get through spring practice and keep their grades up, they are guaranteed a varsity spot the next fall.

This is better than transfer-ins. One of my best friends (6'4, 300, athletic) never played a lick of football. I should have recruited him onto the team myself.
I totally agree. I've heard it said more than once thought that practices are just to hard and it scares them away.

Originally posted by Silver King :
Back when I played we had this kid they called Rubberhead - he was kind of a "Head" in the vernacular of the day. His mom made a sequined Tarpon outfit with a hood that looked like an actual Tarpon's head. He'd wear boxing gloves and flippers on his feet and when we'd get in the Red Zone the band would strike up "The Horse" and he would break down in the Funky Chicken (a dance of the day). The guy was 6'1" 235 and could move like someone on soul train. We often said he might have been a pretty good ball player, but man did he get the crowd up.
Ah, The Horse. What a great song. When I was in school, the band played it all the time. In fact, the band director got so tired of playing it, he literally burned the music.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT