ADVERTISEMENT

Homeschooling Increasing in Florida-Affect on HS Sports?

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
https://public.tableau.com/profile/vkeomanyvong#!/vizhome/HomeschoolenrollmentinFlorida/Web

Above is the link to the chart showing increases for the last 10 years. An article I read said it had to do with avoiding standardized testing and Common Core requirements. How will this affect high school sports?

Lower enrollments could mean lower sports classifications but there could be larger numbers on the field. Is that fair? I'm assuming the players can choose to go to whatever local school they want, right?

Also, is homeschooling a better option than private school? Either way, you still pay school district taxes. The lost income from a parent could far exceed the cost of a private school education. Of course, if there are many children, that would be reversed.

One final question. If a child is not taught how to prepare for and take tests in elementary, middle, and high school, how well do they perform in college? I don't know any home-schooled adults to ask.

Home schooled kids have to play for the public school they are districted to attend. I don't know if home schooled kids can play for private schools, but it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed it.

As far as I can tell, people are doing whatever they DWPlease, anyway.

That's not true Redfish, home schooled kids can now play where ever they want. As long as the county or school they are zoned for releases them. Once they have a release or agreement and are accepted by the new school they are free to go.

I remember when forced bussing started in the mid-70's. Many inner city parents wanted their local schools improved rather than bussing them 20 miles away. They valued community schools. I think most parents do. After my divorce, I kept our home near the middle school and high school just so my kids could participate in sports, band, and clubs. It was a good choice for them.

Now we've done a 180 and kids can go to whatever school they want as long as they have transportation to get there. The minorities had to travel years ago and now the more privileged kids are choosing to travel. And, they're making this choice often to play on the best sports team!

Disclaimer: I know there were many other arguments in the bussing issue! I'm just expressing the irony of one of them.

Reactions: riverrat1961
I remember when forced bussing started in the mid-70's. Many inner city parents wanted their local schools improved rather than bussing them 20 miles away. They valued community schools. I think most parents do. After my divorce, I kept our home near the middle school and high school just so my kids could participate in sports, band, and clubs. It was a good choice for them.

Now we've done a 180 and kids can go to whatever school they want as long as they have transportation to get there. The minorities had to travel years ago and now the more privileged kids are choosing to travel. And, they're making this choice often to play on the best sports team!

Disclaimer: I know there were many other arguments in the bussing issue! I'm just expressing the irony of one of them.

To the best of my memory the 70s busing was more to with getting a better diversity of all races at all schools. Correct me if i am wrong but i was only a teenager at the time.

Everyone had their own reasons for and against busing (sorry, I spelled it wrong.) It was a horrible time in the history of the US. I experienced it in the Midwest. I imagine things were even worse in the South.

That's not true Redfish,...Once they have a release or agreement and are accepted by the new school they are free to go.

What happens if they fail to get the release?

I know the answer, they do what they want anyway.

Still, they're supposed to get permission.

Inaccurate, yes, untrue ... If this was a quiz, I suppose so.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT