ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest high school games in history? (List them here!)

Armwood and Brandon in the 1987 season. This is when Brandon had Grant, Mancini, and Hopkins. Armwood, according the experts/papers didnt have a chance. Armwood won with a backup QB throwing a bomb to Burney in the 4th quarter. On the xtra point Burney ends up passing for a 2 point conversion to Delaughter. Brandon attempts to drive down the field on the arm of Grant. Grant ends up getting picked off #29!! Armwood wins 8-6!! It was standing room only!! You had every major scout in the stand!

Re: Apopka at Palm Bay, 2001....

I have the VHS tape. Palm Bay Is up at halftime by 2 scores and clearly the better team(in that game). Merriweather (NE Patriots) moves to QB in the 2nd half and wills them back to victory against many Backups especially in the secondary where Palm Bay was trying to find some depth. Palm Bay played 3 different QB's. Apopka had a great team and who knows what would have happened in the regular season but please dont act like the starters for palm Bay played all night. Just making sure the facts are out, this was a preseason game, Yes Apopka won it.

Lincoln ended Palm Bays season up in Tallahasse in a great game.
from 1999-2002 football seasons, Where lincoln and palm Bay each won 2 championships the 2 teams were so evenly matched that a break here or there and either one could have won 4 in a row.

Originally posted by pfeagle4:
Pine Forest vs Lakeland 2008 Final Four = 22-21 (Lakeland)

Hahaha.

That was some game. Coming back from USF for one of the only Lakeland games I was able to catch last season, and it Did not disappoint.

If only people could have seen the look on Lakeland fans faces when Pine Forest took the lead. lol. Kodak Moment. This guy I was sitting next to, throws his drink, stands up and Yells "They don't effing want it bad enough." Tells my friends dad, later man I can watch them give this thing away.

Well two minutes later, Lakeland was back on top. Great game, someone had to lose. Glad it was Pine Forest lol.

I will vote for the 1994 Southeast vs Vanguard game. Daunte Culpepper and Peter Warrick slugging it out. Both playing QB for eachother's team.

Can anyone get the game film for this? I can try to call the coach at Southeast. Wasn't it televised on FHSAA?
This post was edited on 9/1 4:00 PM by djtomr941

I'd like to add that the 4 most talented teams I have ever seen in the state of FL (not in any order) were 2008 STA, 2005 Lakeland, 2006 MNW and 1994 Bradenton Southeast.

In 1994 Southeast beat STA deep in the playoffs. I did some research and found some Articles about that game on the STA website.

http://www.aquinasfootball.com/files/Raider_Tradition/NewsArticles/1994/St_Thomas_loses.html
http://www.aquinasfootball.com/files/Raider_Tradition/NewsArticles/1994/Eyes_tell_story.html
http://www.aquinasfootball.com/files/Raider_Tradition/NewsArticles/1994/Outmanned_St_Thomas.html

In one of them, I saw this quote from the STA coach at the time.

“We were outmanned,” said St. Thomas coach Mike Spencer. “There wasn’t a single matchup outside of our receivers where we were more talented than they were. That’s the most talented team St. Thomas has played in my 12 years as coach there.”

The best of the Southeast bunch on Friday was quarterback Peter Warrick, a first-team All State selection last year who leads the Seminoles potent option attack.

Warrick scored Southeast’s first two touchdowns Friday on the ground, then hooked up with receiver Ted Bryant on a 19-yard pass near the end of the second quarter to give the Seminoles a 21-0 lead.

But as good as Warrick was, the Southeast defense was even better. Safety Alphonso Roundtree intercepted four passes thrown by St. Thomas quarterback Frank Marciante, including one which he returned 37 yards for a touchdown midway in the third quarter to give the Seminoles a 28-0 lead.

Marciante was forced to throw 36 times because Southeast was giving up virtually nothing to St. Thomas runners. Roger Harriott, the Raiders’ leading rusher, gained only 23 yards on 13 carries.

“We tried to start off with the running game, but they have to have the best front seven in the state, if not the country,” said Marciante, who was repeatedly hit and was sacked five times.

Neither did Warrick who opened the scoring with 3:49 remaining in the first quarter, keeping on the option and running 24 yards for a touchdown.

Warrick scored in similar fashion midway through the second quarter by going outside of St. Thomas’ containment, turning inside, then breaking a handful of tackles for a 32-yard touchdown.

Southeast scored a crucial touchdown with only 10 seconds remaining in the first half to take a 21-0 lead. After St. Thomas kicker Matt Baader missed a 42-yard field goal, Southeast went 90 yards on eight plays in just over one minute for the score. The capper came on Warrick’s 19-yard pass to Bryant, who caught the ball inside St. Thomas’ 5-yard line, then dove in for the touchdown.

Southeast dogged Marciante all night en route to its 28-14 Class 5A state semifinal victory over St. Thomas, and afterward, Marciante used the one word that youths always overuse -- but this time the overwhelmed Marciante used it properly.

“Awesome,” he said.

His bleary eyes reflected the awe he was still trying to digest. Marciante threw just one interception all season until Southeast forced him into four.

“It wasn’t just him -- all of our guys were struggling against the speed of that defense,” St. Thomas Coach Mike Spencer said. “Our O-line was running around all night trying to handle them.”

“Their defense was the quickest I’ve seen all year,” Marciante said. “There were everything everyone said they would be and more.”

Southeast was #1 in the country but Peter Warrick, their star went out for an injury prior to the Sarasota Riverview game which they lost by 7 points due to lack of offense. That team was abolsutely loaded and sick!
This post was edited on 9/4 1:54 PM by djtomr941

riverview manatee 91 or 92 shawn bane gets out of jail and runs for 2oo yds and two tds............. charlotte southeast pacman catch over three d one player to win game charlotte desoto 92 desoto blocks punt with time running out terry evans and sam brown tacke each other and chalotte wins

These are all good games. I've seen a bunch of them.
MY top 2 would have to be I think it was 99 GLADES CENTRAL V.S. Madison County. That a awsome game. Jerry Campbell's touchdown pass to Reggie Vickers as Reggie is falling backwards, and still makes the catch. To win the State Championship
1993 the melt down in Lake Wales
Glades Central at Lake Whales (Playoffs)
We walked in like we owned the place. Fred Taylor was running the ball like the field was named after him. Reidel Anthony caught a long touchdown pass from J. Sider and jumped over the fence went into the home bleachers and sat down. Blow out at halftime 35-3 Glades Central.
Lake Whales makes the best come back. I've ever seen in High School Football 38-35 Lake Whales. I cried like a baby it still hurts lol.....

2006 Bartow- 38 @ Hardee- 32: 3rd round of the playoffs- 4 Overtimes (most in post season history, I believe)

Earlier in the year Bartow ended their 40something game win streak in 2 OT's.

Without a doubt Alachua Santa Fe 49 Suwannee 48 in 3OT for the right to move on to the 1999 3A semifinal.

I was on the sideline when Andre Caldwell led Tampa Jefferson to a state finals berth beating Charlotte in 2002. Both teams left everything on the field.

1982: Ocala Forest vs Ocala Vanguard. While the game didn't really have any bearing on how a state championship would play out, it is the way a cross-town rivalry should be. In those days, Forest was THE football power of Marion County. Any loss, other than those to Palatka and Gainesville, was unthinkable.
By the half, Vanguard was up 17-0. With seconds left in the 4th, the score was 17-17, and Forest was lined up for a chip shot FG.
The snap...the hold...the kick. BLOCKED!...and the Sunday bounce, right into the kick blocker's hands, who raced to the endzone for the victory.

Originally posted by Canes0177:
Originally posted by Metalfan:
I still think that kick went wide in that game...just sayin..

It did.
\

I was at that game also. That kick definitely did NOT go in. I was really pi$$ed that night.

Anybody see 2009 1B Championship game Warner Christian Academy vs Glades Day? Glades Day won 27 - 20 in OT. WCA came back with under two minutes with a 70 yard hook and latter to tie it up - it was pretty awsome!!!

Dunnellon vs. Clay(2003) - Regional Semi's. Dunnellon is down 19 - 6 with 2:19 left in the game. Clay decides to throw the ball on 2nd and 10. Pass is batted in the air by Dunnellon (doitall) RB/LB Marty Allen, bounces off an Olineman helmet, back into Allens hands who races for the score. The Tigers were able to recover an onside kick, and scored two more times to make the final 26-19. One of the greatest games I have ever seen, any level.

That Madison vs Bell Glades was a classic. That was the 98 4A state title game. The best game ever was the week before when Madison had a hail mary to to beat the number 1 team in the nation(Jax Raines) in front of 10k people at Boothill. The DB that gave up the TD from Raines was Lito Sheppard.

HAHA. I just posted the same thing. It was a legendary game though. Madison was part of two of the greatest games in high school history in back to back weeks.

Nice list. You would have to include the 1976 Jesuit High School-Titusvile Astronaut game. A Jesuit team Coached by Bill Minahan and led by S/RB Skipper Peek defeated an Astronaut team with a boatload of DI players including Cris Collingsworth, Joe Voor, Reggie Herring, Scott Warren, Scott Allison and Woody Rice.

1997 6A State Championship-Miami Carol City(15-0)vs. Lake City Columbia(15-0)

Both teams were ranked nationally and Carol City was the #1 team in the country. The Miami Herald predicted that Columbia wouldnt even score on Carol City, and Columbia jumped out to a 17-6 halftime lead in front of 20,000 fans at the Swamp. After a controversial pass interference call that would have given Columbia the ball inside the 20 in the second half, the Chiefs scored 14 unanswered points behind the arm and legs of Ethnic Sands. Carol City won 20-17.

Ocala Trinity Catholic vs University School 2010: Ocala Trinity Catholic has defeated Davie University School 56-55 in three overtimes for the Class 2B state championship. Jeremiah Gates, who rushed for 188 yards on 33 carries, scored on runs of 1, 23, 54, 1 and 10 yards. Trinity Catholic (14-0) quarterback Joseph Little passed for 179 yards and three touchdowns.
The final score was so high it defeated the previous record for points scored in a state championship game. The old record of 105 points was set in 1993, when Miami Southridge defeated Bradenton Manatee 69-36.
University School (13-1) quarterback Douglas Cook completed 43 of 61 passes for 430 yards and four touchdowns, setting state finals records for attempts and completions.
It came down to a couragous call by the coach from Davie Universiy school to go for two in the third OT which was stuffed at the 1. this was straight from the movie "Friday Night Lights" The victors threw helmets to the sky and the boys from Davie fell to their knees and cried. So much joy and pain at the same time!

Originally posted by knowledgeman:
1994 Union County vs Baker High

Union goes 94 yards in the last 3:30 to drive for the winning score to make it 34-33. Goes on to win the first of three straight!
Unfortunately, I was on the losing side of this. We had 2 extra points blocked. Still painful to think about. We would have won back-to-back titles.

Fort Walton Beach @ Choctaw 1999. Tied at 28, #8 Robby Naylor for Choctaw drills a 51 yard Field Goal for the Win with 2.2 seconds to go! That win put Choctaw back in the playoffs for the first time sine 1990 when they won state!

1994 State 5A Championship Game Ocala Vanguard (Daunte Culpepper) Vs. Bradenton Southeast (Peter Warrick) Two QBs Battled It Out For A Record Crowd In Daytona of Almost 1000 Fans.... Southeast Went Up 19-0 At The Half. Vanguard Scored 17 Unanswered Points In The Second Half, And Battled Back, To a 4th And 20 With Less Than A Minute To Go Deep in Southeast Territory, Culpepper Rushes For And Picks Up 20 Yards On The 4th Down Play To Set Up The Winning Field Goal. With 4 seconds left Tommy Wood Kicks The Field Goal And Hooks it Wide Right For The Potential Game Winner............ HEARTBREAKER!

I covered the 07 Lincoln at Pine Forest game and wrote the article for flavarsity. I still remember it like it was yesterday! BJ Daniels definitely put on a show that night. Probably the best game I've seen in person.

Some others I can think of;

2004 4A semifinal: Lake Gibson at Pensacola High- great game, PHS went up with practically no time left and Lake Gibson ran the kickoff back for a TD. I remember listening to that one on the radio but I don't remember the score.

And I'm a big fan of the STA vs Lakeland game from 06
This post was edited on 7/7 11:32 PM by FutureTiger65

Reactions: NoleDynasty51
Ok, whoever wrote this article about southridge vs killian is an idiot. I was the kicker for that game and kick two FG's that game. One before half time which made the score 17-3 at half. Ghonna Joseph's last year of high school was the 94' season. He didn't even play in that game. The punt at the end of the game was right but I (Mike Berry) kicked the game winning FG. I made the front page of the paper. I did the same thing the week before.

My son's senor year they played a team and were up 35-0. The other team had a boy with a mental handicapp he wanted to play football; everyday he went to practice did his very best but because of his handicapp he could not be allowed to play; he did not know this! He was always told when he got better he could play in agame. It was the last game of the year for this team! This kid's senor year; his coach called time out when they got to my son's teams five yard line! he walked across the field and asked my son's coach if they would let this kid score and not hit him! My son's coach said yes! He run up the middle for a five yard touchdown!Every timeI see him he reminds me of when he scored on my son's team. My son played baseball,football,ran track. He went on to play d-1 baseball in college. But I remember this because for one play this handicapp kid earned confidence that has remained with him until this day! He earned all four letters he recieved even though he only saw the field one play. His mom told me one day that her son got the best physical therapy he could have ever gotten playing football! She said he still trys to do the same exercises they had him do at practice! She said it has made her son live longer and be able function better. I've been going to games since before i was in school. I'm 43 now and will always remember that night!

Yeah, That game still hurts........ But the scores are a little off....... We (Glades Central) led 35-14 at halftime and lost 40-35.....

Yes 93 ..
Glades threw a long pass the first play of the game for a TD ..
Anthony ran threw the end zone jumped the fence and sit in the stands and NO flag ..BUT the LDUB stayed true and weathered the storm and pulled it out in the end ..GREATEST GAME EVER with PLENTY of D1's on the field that night.

SHOWDOWN 31: Ft. Pierce Central vs. Ft. Pierce Westwood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fort Pierce Westwood 22, Fort Pierce Central 21: Showdown 31 before 10,000 at Lawnwood
FORT PIERCE ? In the biggest game of the year in front of a record Lawnwood Stadium crowd, Fort Pierce Westwood senior Wonderful Terry stole the show.

Stepping in for injured quarterback Travares Copeland, Terry guided Westwood to a 22-21 victory over crosstown rival Fort Pierce Central in front of more than 10,000 fans Friday.

Westwood (9-0) finishes the regular season unbeaten, while Central (8-1) suffered its first loss.

Terry ? Westwood’s fourth quarterback of the night after Copeland went out with a busted lip on the first play from scrimmage ? finished with three touchdowns and 215 yards of offense. More importantly, Terry scored the game-winning touchdown in what will be remembered as a classic in the 31st version of the “Showdown.”

Westwood now leads the series, 16-15.

Down 21-14 with 1:22 left to play, Terry ran in from one yard out and then added a two-point conversion, flipping into the end zone after Central defenders nailed him at the goal line.

Link: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/nov/13/no-headline---spt_showdown_31_c1/

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/nov/13/no-headline---spt_showdown_31_c1/

Wesley's last Game

"This school was his family
This field his home
May all who pass this way
Defend them both"

Those are the words every Fleming Island player since the 2008 season has touched before they enter the field at Fleming Island. Those words are on a plaque engraved into a large rock. The rock is there to be a Memorial for Wesley Whiddon Fleming Island's first 4 year letterman and starting MLB who tragically lost his life the Spring before his Senior Season. I like many others loved Wesley and will do whatever I can to make sure his name will live on. As he deserved to be remembered by everyone. The school was his family says it all because it truly was. Everyone he met he treated them like family. He deserves much of the credit for where Fleming Island is today.

The last game he ever played was my favorite game to go back and watch. It was in the 2007 season Fleming Island had never been to the playoffs before. We started that year off 1-4 and from that point on never looked back. Led by Ryan Aplin on offense and Wesley on defense FI won there first District Title. Aplin currently is the starting QB at Arkansas State and is coming off a season where he was named Sunbelt Conference Player of the Year. Before the game against BT Ryan had just upset the Mainland Bucs, in the second round of the playoffs, in one of the most amazing two minute drives I have ever seen.

Bartram Trail was up 28-12 with 9 minutes to go when Ryan drove down the field and scored with a little over 5 minutes left and converted on the 2 point conversion. Then BT drove the length of the field and lined up for a field goal with less than 2 minutes left up 28-20, the field goal was blocked and ran back for a touchdown by Colton Longden. We were then stuffed for the 2 point conversion. And then on the ensuing kick off we recovered an onside. On the next drive Ryan threw a pick and then it was game over from there. But those last minutes of the game were pretty fun to watch although we lost.

Since that season Fleming Island has only lost twice at home.
And has had a combined record of 44-8, after having only one winning season before that year.

Fleming Island 26 Bartram Trail 28

Crescent City JV vs. Florida D&B...1994. Amazing game. Defense didn't allow a first down and our punter returned two kickoffs for TD's. He really came through for us that night. Final Score...54-0.

1985 Manatee vs Lakeland. Manatee was ranked #3 in the nation in the USA super 25 and ended up 13-0 for the season. Lakeland won the game 19-17 but had to forfeit the game. Illegal players for lakeland (I think it was age of players but not sure). Woodham ended up winning state that year but played manatee the next year for the title. The score was 40 something to (?)(manatee won).

Last years Pasco 38 @ Wakulla 41. 3 OT play off game. Both teams left everything on the field

Glades Central vs. American Heritage last year was the greatest game I have seen in person. GC won 41-37 in overtime with American Heritage choosing to throw instead of run (which that had done well all game) and Will Likely comes up with the INT to win.

GC seems to be on a lot of these.

GCS vs AH was a fantastic game, but I would actually say the 07' championship game between AHS and NFC was the best game the Stallions have been involved in. Kicker who had literally not made a field goal (excluding PAT's which he often missed) the entire season, nails a 43 YD field goal to win the game as time expired. Game featured 2 of ESPN's top 10 plays that day. Plus got Heritage their first state title.

How about the 2000 regional final between Astronaut and Tampa Jefferson! Astronaut won 16-10 in overtime on a naked boot. The atmosphere for this game was amazing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT