ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest high school games in history? (List them here!)

2001...The Rock goes down the Glades Central and ends a long winning streak on it's way to the first title in school history.

Wasn't a great game but it was a great team. This game is like the Bear/Redskins 77-0 NFL championship in the early 40's. Coral Gables beat Robinson 55-0 at Tampa Stadium in 1967. Gables scored on the first play of the game on a long td pass and poured it on the Knights led by John Reaves. What a beating they took. Gables had 24 guys sign scholarships that year. They dressed 100 players in that game. Came out of the dressing room in numberical order from 0-99. They took a lap around the field before flex to intimidate Robinson. It worked. They were national champs that year and the next.
This post was edited on 3/13 10:29 AM by KRDog

2004 4A State Semifinals Booker T. Washington vs Armwood
Armwood wins by 1 point 36-35 at the end of the game on a double pass, has to be the greatest game i have ever seen

Originally posted by wake4law_cane4life:
Also, I dont remember the exact year, but the game is legend around these parts. Rivalry game in early-mid 90s, Charlotte vs. Port Charlotte. Port Charlotte is losing 14-13 with 20 seconds left and has the ball at the Charlotte 20 yard line. The PC kicker is all state, and now Washington Redskins kicker, John Hall. The kick is perfect, but a power line going over top and across the field snaps and the live end of the wire collides with the ball mid air, causing the ball to explode and fall to the ground. After a long debate the refs rule it a natural occurrence along the lines of a sudden gust of wind and the game is over. That was the closest PC got to beating Charlotte in their 20+ year losing streak, which was just snapped this year.

Hold on Hoss, you're mixing up a few games here. That guide wire across the field at Tarpon Stadium was there for many years (all the years I played from 69-71) and was never a problem. The incident you seem to be talking about occurred at Tarpon Stadium in 1978 vs Cypress Lake. It was the Charlotte kicker that had a high FG attempt for the win - that was heading straight towards the goal post - deflect off the wire. The Tarpon Boosters got rid of the polls and rerouted the wire the next week. That guide wire was long gone before Port Charlotte High was in existence.

John Hall was actually on the first Port Charlotte Team to beat the Tarpons in 1990 on a last minute score 14-12, that was the ninth game the teams ever played and it came on a tipped Hail Mary pass that provided for a very exciting fih=nsih for the Pirates. The Pirate HC was Tom Mut who is the Tarpon DC now, and Binky Waldrop was on that staff who is now the Tarpon HC. The Pirates won this year making the series 24-2 in favor of the Tarpons.

For most Tarpon fans, it was the come-back (down 14) upset of heavily favored St Thomas Aquinas in the 2002 Playoff Regional Championship Game , with "The Drive” that handed that storied program their first ever West Coast loss. That an the 1970 Regional Championship also at the Fish Bowl and also down 14 came back against Tarpon Springs, that was picked to win it all that year with their great running back Frank Pitts, are games most folks around still talk about.

It would be great to hear from those who observed games not involving their own favorite teams. That's rare, I know. A game involving also-rans should never be considered for "Greatest High School games in History".

Also, having watched the game live and providing accurate details is very important. Posting a message about a game you "heard about" or giving inaccurate details (like the 2006 Mainland-Lakeland game being very close or Rainey converting third and "long" when it was a couple of yards) kind of ruins the thread IMO.

And I think well-played games should take precedence. The 1998 Soul Bowl was an ugly, poorly played game which greatly set back the reputation of Dade county football. It did have a very dramatic finish-I saw it live on the Sunshine Network. The 2006 Lakeland-STA game was boring and fairly ugly with all of the turnovers (mostly by STA). Again, arguably the greatest finish ever, not a great game. I think the best game in the Lakeland-STA series was the 31-27 thriller in 1998. That game was back and forth throughout and was high-scoring not because of pourous defense, but because both offenses really hit their stride.

I haven't seen anybody mention the 1996 Bolles-Bartow upset. Bartow beat then national #1 Bolles 14-13. Raines over Glades Central in 1997 was also great. Raines won 32-27.
This post was edited on 4/10 11:26 AM by whoat222004

Originally posted by JetBlackBMW325i:
I heard the 1998 Soul Bowl Miami Northwestern vs. Miami Jackson was won on a hail mary. Don't know what the score was but both teams were real good and game had Vernon Carey, Antonio Bryant, and maybe others. Also there was 46,000 people at the Orange Bowl, largest crowd in Dade history.

Hummmm...
rolleyes.gif

I heard that in the early 60's they would put 50,000 in the Orange Bowl for big games. I think in 1959 the Jackson/Edison game had more than that. Don't know. Just heard from an ex Jackson player (Dan Riveiro, ex principal at Jefferson. He played at Jackson. Game was a matchup of the No. 1 and 2 teams in the COUNTRY)

The largest crowd to watch a high school game in Florida was 48,000 at the Orange Bowl in 1965 in a game between Miami High and Coral Gables. Soul Bowl II in 1998 drew approximately 33,000 at the Orange Bowl. Soul Bowl I, played in the regular season, drew a bigger crowd of 46,000--just short of the state record.

Before the Miami Dolphins existed and the University of Miami was any good, high school football was king in Dade County. In the 1940s, 50s and early 60s, it wasn't unusual to see crowds of over 20,000 to attend high school games at the Orange Bowl. The Miami High vs. Edison rivalry used to routinely draw 30,000 to 40,000 Thanksgiving night.

By the way, Soul Bowl 2 was won on a Hail Mary pass from Northwestern QB Allynson Sheffield to Antonio Bryant. Yes, the game was sloppy. But you have to remember both teams played lights out defense. It's funny that someone would say it set back the reputation of Dade football. On the contrary, it's probably one of the most famous high school game's ever played. Look how many people mentioned that game on this thread.

That was in 1993 Glades Central @ Lake Wales...
Glades Central was ahead 35-7 at the half and Lake Wales made a great come back and won 38-35

2002 St. Augustine versus Palatka. Oldest rivalry in Florida. St. Augustine undefeated and number 1 in 3A. Palatka undefeated and number 2 in 3A. Playing for district championship in last week of season. St. Augustine wins on Palatka missed extra point in overtime.

It's just hilarious to go back and read my post..and then read most of the posts that follow. I ask for people to post what they saw rather than what they heard about and I ask for accurate details rather than errors. LOL.

Ya know, i always thought a Hail Mary was a LONNGG pass as the clock expires. Calling the play in the 1998 Soul Bowl a Hail Mary? lol.

Originally posted by whoat222004:
It's just hilarious to go back and read my post..and then read most of the posts that follow. I ask for people to post what they saw rather than what they heard about and I ask for accurate details rather than errors. LOL.

Ya know, i always thought a Hail Mary was a LONNGG pass as the clock expires. Calling the play in the 1998 Soul Bowl a Hail Mary? lol.

It was a 4th down play with the game on the line and the ball was thrown to a spot and somebody made a great catch.

I think that qualifies.

Whoat:

There were only 6 seconds on the clock prior to the game winning touchdown for Northwestern in Soul Bowl 2. That's just enough time for maybe two plays at the most. When Antonio Bryant made the catch, there was only one second left. Bryant had to outleap 2 Jackson defenders on that play. When he made the catch, thousands of Northwestern fans stormed the field. When I say thousands, I'm not exagerating on this one. The whole field was covered with delirious Bull fans and heartbroken Jackson fans. I've never seen so much emotion at any level of football before or since. It was surreal. I guess a Hail Mary pass to you has to be 50 yards plus. But if you don't think that was a desperation play, I don't know what is.

Soul Bowl 2 wasn't necessarily the greatest high school game ever played in Florida. It was sloppy and there were plenty of mistakes. But neither was Super Bowl III and yet it's always mentioned as one of the most famous football games ever played. But you can't deny the amazing legacy and historical significance and drama Soul Bowl 2 had. Jackson coach Joe Redmond was fired the next day. Antonio Bryant went from a nobody to receiving a scholarship to the University of Pittsburgh. More than 200,000 TV viewers from across the state watched that game live on Sunshine Network. Look up and down this thread and you'll see it's the most mentioned game along with the St. Thomas vs. Lakeland game in 2006. Soul Bowl 2 is an all time classic.
This post was edited on 5/8 7:03 PM by Baller305

Reactions: t_boy
Originally posted by pfeaglesnare:
2000 4A State Title Game Pine Forest vs St. Thomas Aquinas....3 overtimes...Pine Forest wins after st thomas fumbles on the 1 yd line

The statute of limitations has run out on this game so I'll give a short story about it.

In the hotel room in Gainesville the night before the game our coaches were watching some film on Pine Forest.

They looked small, slow and unathletic.

We get to the stadium and as pregame warmups are starting we notice that they are big, fast and athletic!

To this day there are coaches on the staff who feel that Pine Forest sent their JV film.

2005 5A state semifinal Lakeland @ Niceville, huge crowd, amazing atmosphere game came down to a sack on Lakelands 4 yd line to seal the win on the final play of the game, Lakeland 28 Niceville 21

NicevilleFootball.jpg
" />

I am very bad with years here so someone help me out.

1.) Tallahassee Lincoln vs Palm Bay (state semifinal)- Palm Bay was led by sophmore beast Joe Cohen at FB with other studs like Reggie Nelson and Mike Degorry against a super talented Lincoln team that was simply loaded. The game went back and forth with Palm Bay taking a lead in OT. Lincoln scores to get within one but has the extra point blocked. Palm Bay would go on to defeat Dillard in the state title game.

2.) Madison County vs Belle Glades Central (state title game) - On the games greatest stage Belle Glades Central wins on a hail marry with no time remaining to comeback and defeat Madison County in what is arguably the greatest/dramatic moment in state championship history.

My heart goes out to my former teammates on that team. We beat them the year before, my senior year, and went on to win the state title but Regggie f'ing Nelson startes on the ooutside to block the kick moved into the a gap before the snap and blocjed the extra point in overtime to win. Lincoln and Palm Bay went at it for 4 yaers in the semis which was really the state tittle game. Once in 6A the rest in 4A, there were a lot of kids in both teams that made a lot of college rosters and some huge names. Reggie Nelson, Antonio Cromartie, Gavin Dickey , Pat Watkins, Greg Threat, Crophonso Thopre, Joe Cohen, and Mike Degorry. Sorry if i missed any names from Palm Bay or Lincoln for that matter but that is who i could remember what a great run for both.

1) 06 STA vs Lakeland 5A State Finals
2) 06 STA vs Lakeland 5A State Finals
3) 06 STA vs Lakeland 5A State Finals
did i mention the 06 5A state finals?
the game had everything, a quarterback playing with a seperated shoulder, a widereciever who took over the last 5 minutes of the game, a RB surrounded by scandal shaking it off to give one of the best performances in State history, a kicker who kicked 2 perfect onsides kicks (He was the one who beat Florida), and a 4th and inches which ends in even more controversy as STA fans believe Jeremiah Harden crossed the goal line and got pulled back, and of course the ruling that he was stopped short.
This game had everything, incredible play, heroes playing with injuries, pregame scandal, and end of game controversy. Even the movie Friday Night Lights, which dramatizes what happened in the Game between Dalas Carter and Permian does not compare to that game

Originally posted by Brandonoy:
My heart goes out to my former teammates on that team. We beat them the year before, my senior year, and went on to win the state title but Regggie f'ing Nelson startes on the ooutside to block the kick moved into the a gap before the snap and blocjed the extra point in overtime to win. Lincoln and Palm Bay went at it for 4 yaers in the semis which was really the state tittle game. Once in 6A the rest in 4A, there were a lot of kids in both teams that made a lot of college rosters and some huge names. Reggie Nelson, Antonio Cromartie, Gavin Dickey , Pat Watkins, Greg Threat, Crophonso Thopre, Joe Cohen, and Mike Degorry. Sorry if i missed any names from Palm Bay or Lincoln for that matter but that is who i could remember what a great run for both.

Every state game Lincoln and Palm Bay won were close enough in which any single play could have changed the result.

1999: Lincoln 21, Southridge 14
2000: Palm Bay 10, Dillard 6
2001: Lincoln 28, Aquinas 20
2002: Palm Bay 19, Jefferson 10

And Palm Bay killed Lincoln in 44-21 in 2002.

Canes0177.. not so sure I can agree with you on the 2001 Lincoln game. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't STA score and convert the 2 pointer to close within 8 in the last minute? It seems Dan Shula threw the td pass but I can't remember who caught it. I remember STA missing an extra point after scoring first. I told the people I was sitting with that I'd never seen a missed PAT by Aquinas. That's like us making one. We stayed at the Ramada that year with the STA gang. Had a great time except for the outcome of the game. Let me know if my memory is incorrect. Thanks. WAVE OUT!

Your recollection is correct. Wasn't that close. STA scored at the very end after there was basically no hope. Of course, if STA could've used Wes Byrom for the on-side kick ...

Neutral.. I bet we crossed paths up in Tally that year. That was a good time. I had rooms on the third floor with the STA faithful and even had Mrs. Marrero put a sign on my room.. "FM People backing Aqunas". Don Shula was on the elevator with me and a friend and noticed my FM hat. I wasn't going to start a conversation out of respect but he did. I told him how his grandson Dan and I were ball boys when he was a kid. Thanks for confirming my memory, which is sometimes questionable at best. WAVE OUT!

Originally posted by Wavebb:
Canes0177.. not so sure I can agree with you on the 2001 Lincoln game. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't STA score and convert the 2 pointer to close within 8 in the last minute? It seems Dan Shula threw the td pass but I can't remember who caught it. I remember STA missing an extra point after scoring first. I told the people I was sitting with that I'd never seen a missed PAT by Aquinas. That's like us making one. We stayed at the Ramada that year with the STA gang. Had a great time except for the outcome of the game. Let me know if my memory is incorrect. Thanks. WAVE OUT!

We scored with 1:08 left. We lined up for 2 but we kicked the PAT to close the game to within 8 points.

The onside kick failed and they ran the clock out.

The pass was a TE seam route caught by Matt Velez. He outran the safety for about a 40 yard touchdown.

Lincoln made about 3 plays on offense the whole game. But they scored on all 3 of them. It was one of the most frustrating things.

Three of their four touchdowns were in 3 plays or less. We needed to make a play and we couldn't.

Not picking on any fans here -- but lets be clear that the 2006 Lakeland-STA game was a sloppy, uneventful, mediocre, ordinary football game. However -- the "late-4th Qtr. finish" by STA -- was special.

Lakeland-STA in the late nineties was a much better football game for me. The Lakeland-Niceville Semi-Final game the year prior was a FAR better football game. And the list only goes on... and on.

I've seen better State Championship games, let alone dozens of better regular season and playoff football games than that particular Lakeland-STA game.

Many people had already cleared-out and left the 2006 Lakeland-STA game by midway in the 4th Qtr. -- for good reason. I'm glad I stuck around for the most fantastic finish I've seen in years.

But, I can't really say it was the greatest game, or even in the top 20 football games that I've been privileged to see.

2001 Lakeland at Haines City. Haines City won 2-0 snapping Lakeland 60 game winning streak. Not sure if this was one of the greatest games ever, but it sure was fun to watch. Someone said you could watch this game on Haines City's website, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

JJNHC.. HC Fan made me a copy of that game. He would probably do the same for you. Just ask him. WAVE OUT!

I found it, the game is on their football website, not there school website. http://hainescityfootball.com/Video%20Archives.html
This post was edited on 6/29 12:28 PM by JJNHC

Originally posted by JJNHC:
I found it, the game is on their football website, not there school website. http://hainescityfootball.com/Video%20Archives.html
This post was edited on 6/29 12:28 PM by JJNHC

hang on to the past while it last. With this new rule by Polk. Lakeland will be setting up a rematch with Haines City and it will not be pretty.

Pretty funny Naught08..You can never tell what the future will hold for both schools.

1. 2000 Venice vs. #3 in the nation Lakeland 27-23 venice rolls
2. 2000 Venice Vs. Manatee venice rolls 24-21
3. 2000 Venice vs. Ely venice rolls 24-21
4. 2000 Venice vs. Dwyer venice rolls 77-14 (state championship)
5. 2000 Venice vs. Charlotte 56-63 venice rolls 2 ot's
6. 2003 Venice vs. undefeated Deerfiled beach venice rolls 21-7
7. 2007 Venice vs. Manatee venice rolls 21-7 to win district
8. 2002 Venice vs. Naples regional championship naples wins 7-0
9. 2002 Venice vs Riverview 42-14 starters pulled midway through 3rd could of been another 77 point game
10. 2007 Venice vs. Booker Booker wins 19-14 on last drive double pass

vhs football.. don't forget the 2000 Venice win over Clewiston, 21-20. WAVE OUT!

Originally posted by vhs football:
1. 2000 Venice vs. #3 in the nation Lakeland 27-23 venice rolls
2. 2000 Venice Vs. Manatee venice rolls 24-21
3. 2000 Venice vs. Ely venice rolls 24-21
4. 2000 Venice vs. Dwyer venice rolls 77-14 (state championship)
5. 2000 Venice vs. Charlotte 56-63 venice rolls 2 ot's
6. 2003 Venice vs. undefeated Deerfiled beach venice rolls 21-7
7. 2007 Venice vs. Manatee venice rolls 21-7 to win district
8. 2002 Venice vs. Naples regional championship naples wins 7-0
9. 2002 Venice vs Riverview 42-14 starters pulled midway through 3rd could of been another 77 point game
10. 2007 Venice vs. Booker Booker wins 19-14 on last drive double pass

Deerfield Beach hasn't had an undefeated regular season since the 1980's.

Originally posted by HC FAN:
Pretty funny Naught08..You can never tell what the future will hold for both schools.

I think we both know the future. lol.

But if they play, i think lakeland coaches who were around for that loss will want to win that one pretty bad.

2006 bay county,fl mosley vs bay 30-32 and 2007 27-24 dot. Field goal as time expires, cross town rivals are always the best games and the best on paper doesn't always win.

Armwood vs. Booker T Washington II (2004)
Armwood vs. Booker T Washington III (2005)

2000 Immokalee high vs Gulliver prep, 2 overtimes, we could have won in regulation had we been playing in, a High school Field, the extra point with 20 seconds left would have won the game, the goal post are not as wide @ the college level, extra point hit the goal post....Sean Taylor was a terror, we sent 7 kids to D1 schools that year....Gulliver prep went on to dominate at state......

Gulliver didn't win a single playoff game by more than 10 points that year.

Their playoff scores were 24-21, 32-29, 21-20, 29-28, 31-21.

Since 1993, Neutral has attended all of the great championship finals that have been described in this thread and it's a virtual impossibility to narrow things down to just one game.

As others have said, some of the games that have been nominated weren't that good overall. They were games that were boring for the most most, but fantastic at the end. What better exampkle than the 2006 STA comeback against Lakeland?

Some games featured teams that had Jeckle and Hyde performances. Best example? 1994 4A final in Daytona featuring Ocala Vanguard vs. Bradenton Southeast. SE won the first half of the game and eventually opened up a 19-0 lead. Then the Dante Culpepper-led Vikes finally got on-track, stormed back with 17 unanswered pts., and missed a chip shot FG as time expired. The refs said it missed right. If it did, it couldn't have been more than an inch. Tony Woods' kick cleared the top of the right upright by at least 30 feet. The ball landed about 50 rows deep in the East Parking lot, roughly halfway to Daytona Beach.

The game hasn't been mentioned, but in the early 90's Bishop Verot hosted Frostprost in Ft. Myers and they played 6 or 7 OT's. I was on the end line for the last 3 or 4 OT's and their was hardly a player who could stand up at the end. Duane Thomas who had a stellar career at Virginia Tech was Verot's stud Sr. RB that year.

But as for the best HS game I ever saw, if we narrow it down to a 48 minute (or more) nail biters that featured two extremely talented teams who both essentially played to the best of their ability from start to finish as the game see-sawed back and forth, my vote has to go to the previosly mentioned 2000 6A North semi-final between Lincoln and Palm Bay.

You had to be there in person to witness how well both teams were coached and how much pure athletic ability was on display. At first it didn't look like anybody would be able to move the ball well enough to score. I wouldn't have bet a nickle that regulation wouldn't end at 0-0. Both defenses looked good enough to pitch a shut-out.

Eventually regulation ended 14-14. Palm Bay scored first in OT and Lincoln countered with 6 only to have a low snap create enough of a problem for the holder to enable Reggie Nelson to fire across and block the PAT. Final 21-20.

Palm Bay knocked off Ft. Lauderdale Dillard 10-6 the following Saturday night, but Lincoln was every bit as good that year.

What a game.

Footnote: Neutral sat high-up in the visitors stands that night and occasionally exchanged remarks with two guys a few feet to his right. The guy closest was Sean Alveshire who -- amazingly (and blessedly) sat very quietly the entire game. The other guy -- who was far more talkative -- was wearing STA gear. Based on the remarks and opinions he expressed to Alveshire, the guy HAD to be Oracle. To his credit, he was much less obnoxious and overbearing in person than he was on the Net.

tongue.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT