ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest high school games in history? (List them here!)

FV Staff

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
The 2007 football season was filled with exciting nail bitters that kept fans at the edge of their seats. Year in and year out, football fans in Florida are treated to some of the best football games in the country - whether it is bitter rivalries, big first time match ups, or district games. Which game stands out to you as the greatest in Florida high school history? List your games here!

FlaVarsity.com needs your help to compile a reference list of the greatest games in high school history.

There is no voting process, this is a list of the best games in Florida High School history put together by fans.

Once this list gets going, we'll categorize the games into eras - the Early Years, 80s, 90s, 2000s and it will be placed under the Quick Links tab. This is a work in progress list - a collaborative effort by fans, so you will be able to email us at any time to add/edit games to the listing.

Be sure to include the year, team, score and a short summary of the game. It can be a regular season, rivalry match up, play off or state championship game. Any classification.

An obvious game that comes to mind as one of the best games in history is the 2006 Class 5A final between St. Thomas Aquinas and Lakeland.
This post was edited on 12/21 11:34 PM by FV Staff

I heard the 1998 Soul Bowl Miami Northwestern vs. Miami Jackson was won on a hail mary. Don't know what the score was but both teams were real good and game had Vernon Carey, Antonio Bryant, and maybe others. Also there was 46,000 people at the Orange Bowl, largest crowd in Dade history.

Manatee 14
Southeast 13 2OT

Manatee blocked an extra point in double overtime to win a defensive battle. The on-field celebration was unbelievable. Southeast would later even the score in the district tiebreaker and make it all the way to the state title game. They lost the title game to Miami Northwestern. The game was in the 1998 season.
This post was edited on 12/23 7:52 AM by jgking83

Bo - that was a blowout...
2006 was the double-overtime game.

Some food for thought...

1994 Southeast vs. Vanguard game... Peter Warrick vs. Daunte Culpepper. Southeast jumped to a 19-0 lead and Vanguard came storming back - including a 4th and 15 which Culpepper willed his way to. Tommy Woods missed a game-winning field goal for the Knights....

Reactions: alfred78
Originally posted by JetBlackBMW325i:
I heard the 1998 Soul Bowl Miami Northwestern vs. Miami Jackson was won on a hail mary. Don't know what the score was but both teams were real good and game had Vernon Carey, Antonio Bryant, and maybe others. Also there was 46,000 people at the Orange Bowl, largest crowd in Dade history.

MNW vs Jax in Soul Bowl II

In 1998, Northwestern was (13-0) No. 1 in Miami-Dade & No. 1 in the Sports Writers'State 6A Poll and Jackson was (12-1) No. 2 in Miami-Dade, No. 2 in the Sports Writers' State 6A Poll at that time set State Attendance Records with more than 47,000 fans showing up at the OB for what was called "Soul Bowl 2" in the State 6A Football Semifinal. After being down 14-2 for 3 whole quarters, (MNW) scored 2 Touch Downs under 3 minutes on the clock, one coming on a 72 yard TD Pass to #81 (WR) James Gerald in the 4th Qt with a 1 minute in something left on the clock. With no time outs left for MNW. (Jax) had a chance to win the game when the score was 14-9 with about 18 seconds left on the clock, but on a 3 and out it became 4th down. (Jax) turned the ball over to MNW on a eror snap wwhen they failed to recover the ball. MNW won on a big catch by former NFL standout Antonio Bryant in which they called it the "Miracle Catch" and it became one of the most sucessful come from behind wins in FHSAA & Dade County History. A Fade Pass to the left side of the End Zone with 6 seconds remaining on the clock to sealed the game at 15-14 Final and went on to earn a State championship.
This post was edited on 12/22 8:54 PM by I Phi

I'll put the 97 STA @ Lakeland game up there...

Lakeland goes up 22-15 with 39 seconds left in the game and STA comes back and ties it up. Then Lakeland fumbles in OT and STA kicks a FG to win it 25-22.

The 97 title game between STA and Rutherford was a tremendous game as well...STA won 13-10 on a FG with under 20 seconds left.

and the 99 state title which STA won 38-35 over Escambia was a tremendous game. Escambia was up 35-31 when Chris Cormier tossed the ball to Tony Brown and he threw to Joe Bruce and then Kirwin Watson scored with under 40 seconds left.
This post was edited on 12/22 3:43 PM by Metalfan

2000 4A State Title Game Pine Forest vs St. Thomas Aquinas....3 overtimes...Pine Forest wins after st thomas fumbles on the 1 yd line

2001 Pine Forest vs Tallahassee Lincoln....double overtime 2nd round of the playoffs....pine forest down 31-17 with 5 minutes left in the 4 to force double overtime....lincoln won the game on a split second play where the lincoln qb found his tigt end in the corner of the endzone on the 2 point conversion.....

2006 Pine Forest vs St. Agustine...3rd of the playoffs...pine forest down 21-12 at the half come in a second half thriller reaching its peak when the st agustine qb it sacked and fumbeled....inside the pine forest 10 yd line late in the 4th....the pine forest offense makes its greatest drive of the night and marched 70+yds to win it 26-21

2006 Pine Forest vs North Marion 4th round of the playoffs....the pine forest defense catches a break when on a 3rd and long play when a wide open north marion reciever drops a pass...pfhs drives but is held with out points...north marion gets the ball back on their own 30 yd line throws a hitch route the pass is tipped and intercepted by a pine forest line backer then returned all the way in for the go ahead for good score....later on in the game...north marion gets inside pine forest 5 and throws a lob but is intercepted on miracle leap by another pine forest linebacker...to seal the deal on the north marion colts..to win it 35-21

i swear this was one of the most exciting 2 weeks (3 fridays) in my life as a football player...

1995 MIAMI SOUTHRIDGE (8-1) VS MIAMI KILLIAN (9-0) FOR THE DISTRICT 16-6A CROWN...
in the orange bowl
miami killian #2 in 6a fl leads 17-0 entering the 4th quarter southridge qb ghonna joseph runs an option fake pitch 60 yrds for a td... (17-7) 10 min left
southridge lb cortland bullard runs a fumble back 75yds for a td... (17-14) 5 min left...
the next drive for killian, we hold the ball for 3 min and sum change and we are about to punt from their 40 yd line and cortland bullard blocks a punt and sum db (i forgot his name) for the ridge picks it up and races for the winning td 21-17...

the next week...
1995 MIAMI HIGH (10-0) VS MIAMI KILLIAN (9-1) 1ST ROUND OF THE PLAY-OFFS...
miami high #1 team in 6a fl led by sedrick irvin and transfer happy quarter back ryan schnider, with wins over miami northwestern, carol city, and miami southridge stage a comeback against killian after being down 20-7 since the end of the 1st quarter in the 4th irvin takes a screen 50 yards and then braeks a draw for a 40yd score (20-14)... 8 min left
then after a pick miami high drives down the field and coach nigel dunn decides to go for the field goal from the 3 yd line and its blocked by killian db derrick gibson...6 min left
killian then drives the length of the field and throwing a fade on 3rd down and goal from the 5, miami high safety clevon "cookie" thomas picks it off... 2 min left
miami high then drives 79 yards with their spread offense in 1:55...
4th and goal from the killian 1, sedrick irvin gets tha ball on a hand-off but penetration by killians cory johnson forces sedrick to the 4 hole and the lil hesitation allows johnson to grab sedricks undershirt and hold him for a split second while more killian defenders race to knock irvin down before he reaches the goal line giving killian the 20-14 victory...

the next week...
1995 CAROL CITY (10-1) VS MIAMI KILLIAN (10-1) 2ND ROUND OF PLAY-OFFS...
killian just took a 17-14 lead with 1:30 sec left in the forth quarter...
with 45 sec left, ethnic sands threw a bomb on 4th and 15 from their 25 yd line...
the pass bounced off the hands of the killian db right into the hands of santana moss who raced the rest of the 20 yards to the endzone (20-14) pat blocked... 1 min 15 sec
killian ran the ensuing kick off to the 50 but on the next play a fumbled snap seals our fate as we face our second heartbreaking loss in 3 weeks 20-17...

miami northwestern avenge their losses to southridge and carol city to make it to the state championship game and win their 1st state title...
This post was edited on 12/22 9:52 PM by BreatheEazy

Manatee vs. Venice

2000......Venice won 24-21. Manatee missed a field goal as time expired. Venice went on to win the title 77-14.
This post was edited on 12/23 7:57 AM by jgking83

Re: Manatee vs. Venice

Two games in 2000:

Venice 63 Charlotte 57 2OT- Charlotte is down by 3 scores with under 6 mins left, forces OT, and loses on a goal line stand to give Venice the district title. Venice goes undefeated the rest of the way and wins the state title.

Charlotte 41 Southeast 40- Ad Mcpherson-led Seminoles go into a heavy weight offensive matchup with Dishon Platt-led Tarpons and lose as a last second FG goes wide right. Ironically, the next day the college version Seminoles miss a last second field goal wide right against Miami and lose the game.

Also, I dont remember the exact year, but the game is legend around these parts. Rivalry game in early-mid 90s, Charlotte vs. Port Charlotte. Port Charlotte is losing 14-13 with 20 seconds left and has the ball at the Charlotte 20 yard line. The PC kicker is all state, and now Washington Redskins kicker, John Hall. The kick is perfect, but a power line going over top and across the field snaps and the live end of the wire collides with the ball mid air, causing the ball to explode and fall to the ground. After a long debate the refs rule it a natural occurrence along the lines of a sudden gust of wind and the game is over. That was the closest PC got to beating Charlotte in their 20+ year losing streak, which was just snapped this year.

The 2006 5a Championship game was the best game I've ever seen. If there is a better one, put it on youtube so we all can see.
JMO

No homer thoughts on these:

1997 Raines vs. Ed White. Final score is 41-39. There is three touchdowns scored in the final 4 minutes. The final drive had Raines driving 87 yards in under 2 minutes, converting on 4th down twice and scoreing the winning TD on a 4th and goal from the 13, Lito Sheppard took a middle screen in for the final score with 2 seconds on the clock. Both teams were undefeated, Raines went on to win state that year, White lost to State Finalist Springfield Rutherford 14-7 in the the second round. The White/Raines game had five NFL players on the field that night. The crowd was estimated to be well over 10 thousand.

1994 Bradenton Southeast vs. Ocala Vanguard State Championship Game: Game matched up Southeasts Peter Warrick vs. Vanguards Daunte Culpepper at QB's. Southeast won 19-17 in a game that both teams moved the ball well, just not able to score. This game was IMHO the greatest pound for pound match up of teams. Very even and both teams undefeated with loads of talent on the field.

"THE KICK" 2007 1A State Final North Florida Christian vs American Heritage. The game went back and forth as each team matched big plays. Score tied at 28. Time out called. 5 seconds left in the game. The kicker from American Heritage, who hadn't attempted a field goal the entire season, hit a 42 yarder to win the game 31-28.

Originally posted by Mr HiSchool:
Bo - that was a blowout...
2006 was the double-overtime game.

Ummm I believe that's what I said, unless I'm missing something....

1998 Second round 6A playoffs. DeLand trailing 20-14 to Lake City Columbia drives down into the redzone and on 4th down terrible officiating allows a pass interference on Wes Timko in the endzone. Was a heck of a game.

I've seen a lot of tremendous games over the last 25 years but the best one I was at was the 1998 MNW - Jackson game in the OB.

As a side note - the last six minutes of the 2006 Lakland - STA game was the best part of ANY QUARTER that I have ever seen! Most of the fans around me had already left - because the first 3 1/2 quarters were very ORDINARY at best. I'm glad I stuck around for the GREATEST FINISH I've ever seen - but not close to the greatest game or even in the top 20.

BTW v. ARMWOOD II And BTW v. ARMWOOD III, I & IV were blowouts. I was at II and just heard about III. In II, double pass 80 yards, go for two, and Armwood wins by 1.

2001 Jacksonville Mandarin vs Sanford Seminole

With less than a minute left and Seminole fans and players celebrating because the Seminoles just scored and appeared to seal the game by being up by 5, they kicked off to Mandarin and the following occured

1st play lateral on the kickoff return which placed the ball at midfield

2nd play TE catches ball across the middle to set the ball up on the 30 yds line

3rd play with only 4 seconds left QB Joey Winters under pressure releases the ball as he was hit and time expired, and WR Dalvin Strong catches the winning TD in the corner of the end zone.

1. The last two and a half minutes of the Miami Norland/Orlando Edgewater State title game in 2002. Mike Walker made four spectacular catches on a drive that ended in Edgewater taking the lead with less than a minute left. Norland scores with 30 seconds left on a touchdown pass to a kid that had never caught a pass in Varsity ball to give Norland the 19 - 14 win.

2. Lake Brantley/Boone 2006 state semi-final game. Not the two greatest teams. But was a heck of game (perhaps the most competitive in Greater Orlando) with the lead changing hands multiple times. Brantley pulls off the victory on a hook and ladder play down to the 25 followed by a Pat DiMarco diving catch in the endzone with less than two minutes to go. Boone is intercepted on its next drive with seconds to go with two receivers wide open. Final score LB 34 Boone 31.

1986 Lynn Haven Mosley v. Springfield Rutherford. At one time it was the longest game in FHSAA History. 6 overtimes, Mosley won 14-13.

Originally posted by DarterBlue2:
1. The last two and a half minutes of the Miami Norland/Orlando Edgewater State title game in 2002. Mike Walker made four spectacular catches on a drive that ended in Edgewater taking the lead with less than a minute left. Norland scores with 30 seconds left on a touchdown pass to a kid that had never caught a pass in Varsity ball to give Norland the 19 - 14 win.

2. Lake Brantley/Boone 2006 state semi-final game. Not the two greatest teams. But was a heck of game (perhaps the most competitive in Greater Orlando) with the lead changing hands multiple times. Brantley pulls off the victory on a hook and ladder play down to the 25 followed by a Pat DiMarco diving catch in the endzone with less than two minutes to go. Boone is intercepted on its next drive with seconds to go with two receivers wide open. Final score LB 34 Boone 31.

Good one DB2. I think the 2007 APK @ Brantley was pretty good too.

1996 Auburndale 43 Lake Wales 42 Double OT, Hounds stop Jeff Chaney for 2 pt. play to win it. Ended LW 43 game win streak.
1998 Auburndale 28 Kissimmee Osceola 21 Hounds stop Willie Green on 1 yard line with under a minute left to seal the deal.
2003 Madison County 33 Lake City 31 Cowboys stop LC's 2 pt. conversion try with under a minute left to win, after trailing by 18 at halftime.
2007 Madison County 15 Nease 14- Cowboys convert 2 pt. conversion with under 2 minutes left to go up 15-14 after trailing 14-0 at halftime. Cowboys sealed the deal with an interception with 30 seconds left.

Gaither 16
Wharton 14

In a cool fall evening in Northdale in Tampa FL the 5A 5 District Title was on the line. The Gaither Cowboys were up 13-7, but then the Wharton Wildcats came back to take the lead
14-13. Mark Kantor and the Gaither Cowboys did not panic they drove the ball to the Wharton side of the field and Nick Cattoi hit a 47 yard field-goal to give the Cowboys the district title.
This post was edited on 1/15 12:01 PM by UFZack

Here's an old one: 1963, the first state championship game in Florida. Coral Gables defeats Tampa Robinson in Tampa 16-14 on a Larry Davidson field goal as time expires. I was a little kid and watched this on black and white TV as they aired in back to Miami.

Thanksgiving 1971: Coral Gables 28- Southwest Miami 27. Southwest had never beaten Gables but the Eagles kept pace until finally taking the lead with a couple minutes left. Gables, a predominantly running team, used the pass effectively to march the field and tie it at 27-27. The PAT had to be kicked twice due to a Gables penalty but it was successful giving the Cavaliers a 28-27 lead. SW almost stole the show as the return man broke free on the kickoff; from the sideline it looked like he might go all the way as Howard Cosell was fond of saying but a Gables man tracked him down.

September 2006: Lincoln 24-Valdosta 21. The Trojans make their annual journey to Death Valley and the lad changed hands a couple times in the final minutes capped by a Lincoln TD with about 30 seconds left. A good kickoff return, a big scramble, and pass interference call set up a 54 yard game tying field goal try for the Wildcats. The kick appeared good until it died at the end, struck the crossbar, bounced a mile high, and fell back just short. The best game I have ever attended.

September 2007: Lincoln 48- Pine Forest 47 (2 OT)...The second best game I have attended. No defense by either team yet after an amazing B.J. Daniles led rally to tie, it's the Trojan defense that wins it as a gadget play by Pine Forest fails on a game ending failed 2 point try.

1994 Union County vs Baker High

Union goes 94 yards in the last 3:30 to drive for the winning score to make it 34-33. Goes on to win the first of three straight!

NEASE VS PACE High school game 2007. Four overtimes!!!! Finally a missed extra point caused the end of the game. 49-48. Could be the tying record for overtimes in a semi final playoff or even a highest scoring one!

TC JAX vs Union County 98' .... TC JAX snaps UC 52 game win streak in the regional round at UC.. game was back and forth... TC players and fans rip up the field and take grass home with them!!

I'm suprised this game has not been mentioned by any of my fellow Polk Countians. 1988 Lakeland @ Kathleen. Behind a strong second half performance by Kathleen RB Aubrey Bell, the Red Devils over come a 35-13 halftime deficit to defeat the Dreadnuaghts 36-35. That game was soo packed you couldnt even find a place to stand up at Johnny Johnson stadium that night!

Frostproof 14
Newberry 13

Dennis Baldwin scores twice as Newberry misses an extra point with under a minute to go to secure Frostproof's first state title since 1974.

Virginia HS football:

2006 West Potomac vs West Springfield 81-74 (Quadruple Overtime).
This post was edited on 2/1 9:38 AM by 20-0WS

1991 Pasco HS vs Hernando HS in front of 10,000! Pasco beats Herando in overtime as Miek Penix run a Iso into the endzone. GREAT GAME!

NExt would be that State Game between Vanguard and Bradenton SE!

Originally posted by Dragonfan:
2002 Jefferson vs ED White. A track meet between Andre Caldwell and Dee Webb

The 2003 Brandon vs. Jefferson game was a better track meet.
Brandon 49
Jefferson 48

Did anyone mention the Lake Wales Glades Central game. I cannot remember what year maybe 94? Fred, Anthony and Rutledge played for GC against Chad Barnhardt for Lake Wales. Lake Wales ended up winning the game late. Packed house

1. Lakeland v STA 2006
2. Plant v Nease 2006
3. Nease v. Pace 2007 (probably the craziest game, but the state title wasn't at stake)

2001== Mainland vs. Mosley first round of the playoffs.. Mosley had a big lead at the half mainland came back and won the game by two late in the game.

2006== Mainland vs. Lakeland was a great game anyone that witnessed it will tell you the same. It was a blow for blow title fight that ended up having Chris Rainey delivering the final blow on a third and long with 3 minutes left. One of my personal favorites.

and the MNW vs. Miami Jackson Soul Bowl in 98 i think was a classic I remember watching that game at home and was like wow!!!!!!!!!!

Dade County has had some great ones. Here are the best:

1951 Miami High vs. Jackson: Jackson, led by Lee Corso (yes, that Lee Corso!) and Joe Brodsky become the first Dade County school to beat Miami High. The Stingarees had an amazing 26 year unbeaten streak against Dade schools. The game was played in front of more than 20,000 at the Orange Bowl.

1965 Coral Gables vs. Miami High: A crowd of over 48,000 at the Orange Bowl watches Miami High beat Coral Gables 14-7 in a battle of unbeaten. It is still the largest crowd to ever watch a high school game in Florida. Miami High goes on to win the state title and mythical national championship.

1970 Edison vs. Coral Gables: Edison fullback Alan Reynaud scores the game's only touchdown to give the Red Raiders a 7-0 win at the Orange Bowl. Both teams were loaded with talent. Coral Gables featured 4 players who went on to the NFL (Neal Colzie, Glenn Cameron, Ralph Ortega and Gary Dunn) Edison went on to an unbeaten season and state championship.

1972 Hollywood Hills vs. Miami Central: Hollywood Hills becomes the first Broward school to beat a Dade school in the playoffs. Central's All American running back Elvis Peacock is shut down by the Hills defense.

1977 Carol City vs. Hialeah-Miami Lakes: In a battle of unbeatens, Coach Jerry "Red" Anderson and his Carol City Chiefs beat HML to advance to the state playoffs. Carol City would go on to win the state title with a perfect record.

1979 Southridge vs. Miami Springs: Southridge shocks #2 ranked and unbeaten Miami Springs in the 4A playoffs at the Orange Bowl. This game featured two Parade All American running backs Freddie Miles (Miami Springs) and Tony Smith (Southridge). The victory puts head coach Don Soldinger and his Spartans on the map as a state power. Southridge's football program was only in its 3rd season.

1983 Southridge vs. Bradenton Manatee: This was the 5A state championship game played at Tamiami Stadium. Manatee QB Tracy Sanders scores a controversial winning TD to give Manatee its first state title.

1990 Miami High vs. Sarasota Riverview: Ninth-grader Shawn Bane runs for over 200 yards in monsoon conditions at the Orange Bowl to give Riverview the victory in the 5A semifinals.

1995 Northwestern vs. Carol City: After losing its first 3 games of the season, the Bulls rally to go unbeaten the remainder of the season including this 6A semifinal victory over Carol City at the Orange Bowl.

1997 Carol City vs. Southridge: Both teams entered this 6A semifinal game undefeated. Both teams were also nationally ranked by USA Today at the time. Carol City QB Ethenic Sands had his best game using his arm and legs to power the Chiefs to victory at the Orange Bowl.

1998 Northwestern vs. Jackson: This game has been well documented as the most memorable in Dade history. Bulls receiver Antonio Bryant makes a leaping catch with one second left to give Northwestern a dramatic win over Jackson in the 6A semifinals. A crowd of over 33,000 attended this game at the Orange Bowl.

2002: Norland vs. Orlando Edgewater: Norland receiver Sean Bailey scores the winning touchdown with just a few seconds left to give the Vikings their first state title at Doak Campbell Stadium. The touchdown was Bailey's first ever of his high school career. It was his last high school game.

2006 St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Lakeland: This was the wildest game I've ever personally witnessed. STA recovered 2 onside kicks in the last 3 minutes and scored 5 touchdowns in the 4th quarter to send the 5A title game to overtime. Down by a field goal in the 2nd overtime, STA coach George Smith gambles and goes for the winning touchdown rather than kicking a tying field goal. Raiders running back Jeremiah Harden is stopped just short of the goaline by Lakeland's John Brown.

2007 Northwestern vs. Deerfield Beach: Bulls QB Jacory Harris leads Northwestern to a 99 yard game-winning drive in just two minutes to complete a remarkable comeback against upset-minded Deerfield Beach. MNW goes on to win its 2nd consecutive 6A title and mythical national championship.

Reactions: Broadway Joe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT