ADVERTISEMENT

Fastest Tarpon EVER?

te35

Jul 4, 2007
Silver King, what's your take on Devin Quinn being the fastest Tarpon ever? (10.31 in the 100 meters@ Wally Keller Invit) Fastest time in the state as of now.

0.20 seconds faster than Bellamy. I thought I remembered people talking about Bellamy being the fastest to come through there.

Yeah, its a bit shocking, he broke Bellamy's Record, then broke the record he set again - this last one was wind assisted but he's faster than a scalded dog. His coaches say he's a great kid who works hard.

Fastest Tarpon Ever, he may be. But for distance it was Tarpon Tommy Fulton (CHS 1969) still one of the best distance runners the state's ever produced - three time state champion, one of the first four individuals on the planet (and the first African American) to break the four minute mile. Ran for Texas Southern then had a pro career in track. RIP Tommy.

This post was edited on 3/31 2:10 PM by Silver King

Since we are talking Track the fastest ever to come out of Pinellas County as of right now is running 9.90 in college for Baylor

Trayvon Bromwell only a sophomore from Gibbs High

Sliver, found this on a runners blog called "what ever happen to?"

Back in the spring of 1973, in Arkadelphia, Arkansas for the NAIA National Track and Field Championships, many had the opportunity to witness an amazing performance by a Texas Southern runner by the name of Tommy Fulton.

He's a guy you've never heard of, but take a look at what he did at NAIA in 1973 (Mike Boit won the bronze in 800 meters in the '72 Olympics and ran a 3:49 mile in 1981! He had his hands full and more racing against Fulton. The blogger indicated, that was the first sub 4 minute mile run in the state of Arkansas). Counting heats, Fulton raced 8 times over a 3 day span.

1973 NAIA

Wednesday, May 23

7:45 pm 1 mile heats
1. 4:08.3 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern
2. 4:08.8 Mike Boit, Eastern New Mexico

9:20 pm 880 heats
1. 1:50.2 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern

10:30pm 3 mile heats
1. 13:58.2 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern
-------------------------

Thursday, May 24

8:40 pm 880 semi-finals
1. 1:50.2 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern

9:20 pm 3 mile final
1. 13:33.4 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern
2. 13:34.2 Rex Maddaford Eastern New Mexico
3. 13:38.2 Phillip Ndoo Eastern New Mexico
-----------------------------

Friday, May 25

7:45 pm 1 Mile final
1. 3:57.8 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern
2. 3:58.5 Bob Maplestone, Eastern Washington
3. 4:00.3 Mike Boit, Eastern New Mexico

8:45 pm 880 final
1. 1:47.7 Mike Boit, Eastern New Mexico
2. 1:48.8 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern

9:15 pm 6 mile final
1. 28:42.2 Peter Fredrikkson,
2. 28:55.2 Tommy Fulton, Texas Southern

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman, thanks for that blast from the past - I was in grad school in 77 and met a guy from New Jersey - he asked me where I was from and I gave him the usual "Small Florida town you never heard of" When I told him Punta Gorda, he said "That's Tommy Fulton's home town!" He had run against him in the Penn Relays I think he told me.

Tommy should have been a High School All-American but our track program wasn't very sophisticated - I remember being in Junior high and seeing him running all over the place like a gazell.

Te35 and B-Streak, The Bellamy / Ace Sanders 100 was something to see at Districts at the Fish Bowl in 2010, even Author Stephen King was there to watch it.

The closest competition Quinn should have is Dixon from South Ft. Myers. South also has one of the fastest times in the state in the 4x100 relay. Should be exciting to watch.

Should be a great one. 10.76 into a head wind at Florida Relays finished 1st with a kid from Dr Phillips behind him 10.81.

This post was edited on 4/4 10:28 AM by Silver King

Did this Quinn kid play football? An easier question is, who was the fastest with the pigskin in their hands?

I think he may have early Rook, but concentrated on track with a few of the backs we had in front of him. We have a fast one running the 100 who is a soph who should be pretty good next year.

I gotcha-- I just wish all those fast dogs would head south, and any with some size, too

Last night results. 10.72 (100) Just edged out Dixon from South Ft Myers. 21.32 (200) Anchored the 4x400 to first place. Rematch with Dixon @regionals (also @ Charlotte on Th 4/23 )

idk, but i sure enjoyed Fred Fields and Curtis Johnson go at it--- middle YouYoute ran a low 10s, but lost to Jeff Demps like everyone else

I would have liked to seen those Noel The Devine One and Demps races in the street, I heard there were two and the bets were flying.

Fields and Johnson was some great races. I thought it was Rainey and Noel street racing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT