ADVERTISEMENT

Escambia HS

That planned "rally" will turn into much worse. This needs to be investigated and resolved by an outside source as soon as possible.

Looks like Willie may have been fired, or at least suspended without pay.

This post was edited on 9/2 11:16 AM by rustyb93

Linky

the sad part is that so many students are transferring to play sports.
what did the man say along time ago, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Could I get suspended with pay? What a deal!

Is he the AD also? Who will be performing those duties?

The admin got what they wanted.
It was a dog and pony show from the beginning.
And now "what they wanted" is biting them in the rear.
The administration earned this.
The players and community suffer for the "politics" that created this situation.

Is this a case where the kids are transferring to the wrong school? No wonder Emmit never comes back.

6 Transfers in the off season. Hmmmm I'm sure there were no indiscretions going on. They had already been disciplined by the FHSAA for some form of practice rule. Seems the Willie Spears experience may be coming to an end.

There are several schools in the Pensacola area that recruit. Some coaches got pissed that Escambia is out-recruting them, so they turned them in.

I heard that 29 football players in Escambia County transferred to different schools. Now, by South Florida standards, that's a pretty meager amount and it's caused a hell of a ruckus up here. I wish FHSAA would enforce residency requirements for attendance, that would begin to even the playing field between rural and urban teams. The South Florida teams have an unfair advantage just because of the population base they recruit from. I'll bet some schools had more than 29 transfers in and yet that was the whole of Escambia county.

There are reasons players can transfer to other schools. In Okaloosa County they have specialty programs at specific schools and players have transferred to enter that special academic program. Unfortunately, most seem to move to Niceville. They don't to recruit. They just need to convince the player to pursue one of the special academic programs their school offers.

The only way to stop recruiting is to put a one year waiting period on transfers. That would include moves from public to private schools and vice versa.

Just go to wear abc channel3 and go to prep final for 9-5-14, at the 11 minute mark the transfers tell you the reason they came to Niceville.

Choctaw fan, you may not be aware but Choctaw also had 4 kids transfer from FWB and 2 from Niceville this year. No newspaper article or TV coverage for those transfers....not sure why. The problem in Okaloosa County is not a Niceville or Choctaw problem. Coach Thomas and Coach Hicks don't have kids wanting to leave on a yearly basis! Do you think the WINNING has anything to do with that? BTW I agree with your transfer rule.

This post was edited on 9/11 9:59 PM by eagles2015

This post was edited on 9/11 11:04 PM by eagles2015

The parents, who allow their boys to transfer, have a big say also. I understand that FWB's team is fraught with ill-disciplined wannabe thugs. If my son were in that mess of a program, I'd want him somewhere else, too.

Originally posted by Jacket.Skipper:
Originally posted by Choctaw_fan:
They just need to convince the player to pursue one of the special academic programs their school offers.

This is not recruiting?
Not according to the Private schools, It's called marketing

I know it happens at all Okaloosa County schools. The IT Program at Niceville is big draw. Plus, they have pulled a lot of players from Destin who would normally go to Ft Walton. Not many players can qualify for the engineering or flight programs at Choctaw, however, I know players have transferred in to Choctawalso.

Yes, I believe this too is recruiting. All of it needs to stop. So many of these kids are from military families and every move to a new area and school sets them back academically. Why would a parent move them on purpose?

Plus, we saw many kids transfer into Lakeland when they were winning consecutive championships. But, how many got playing time? What players and their parents don't understand is you may get a chance to shine on a weak team and sit the bench on a great one.

I played sports because I loved the challenge of the competition. I was on a lot winning teams and a lot of losing teams. It was nice to win but I just loved to compete.

With the details coming out, especially given the fact that the Coach played six players when specifically told not to do so, coupled with some of the statements he made to the paper, he will be lucky to get a job in this area again.

I'm sure some school that is desperate somewhere will give him a shot, but I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole after the way he handled this.

Linky

Some interesting comments from Mr. Spears at the 2:28:10 mark of the school board video. Kinda shocked he would go there but thats his right as a United States citizen.

This is a sad day for Escambia High and for the football team. After reading everything that went on, I agree with the supt. that he had no choice but to fire him. I agree that some comments he made after the meeting will not help him in the future. Everybody involved understood that there were recruiting violations but Willie Spears. The real losers is the 6 players, some of which are seniors that can't play this year.

I heard discussions on the radio yesterday that this is not Willie Spears first rodeo when it comes to recruiting violations. I also heard FHSAA fined the school for the recruiting violations. I find that a bit shocking as rampant as recruiting seems to be in Florida. What broke Escambia out from the pack that forced FHSAA to levy a fine for recruiting violations?

Originally posted by Roadkillav8r:
I heard discussions on the radio yesterday that this is not Willie Spears first rodeo when it comes to recruiting violations. I also heard FHSAA fined the school for the recruiting violations. I find that a bit shocking as rampant as recruiting seems to be in Florida. What broke Escambia out from the pack that forced FHSAA to levy a fine for recruiting violations?
From what I've read, what broke them was that they didn't make much attempt to hide it, and the administration wasn't on board. Once their own administration was onto them, they were done. At a lot of these schools that heavily recruit, the administration is somewhat aware of what's going on (or take the don't ask, don't tell approach), so it would be really difficult for them to get caught.

On the other hand,m I found his comments after the meeting to be utterly ridiculous. Willie was lucky to have kept his job this long considering how insubordinate he was to his bosses and district personnel. This had nothing to do with what he was telling everyone.

News from the panhandle is that one of the seniors who was declared ineligible for Escambia by the FHSAA (Miller) is going to be playing on the other side of the ball from Escambia for Washington High tonight. Although this kid hasn't played since August, it'll be interesting to see how much he can impact the game plan for his former school (EHS).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT