ADVERTISEMENT

DarterBlue2

If he's coming from Wesley Chapel he probably won't contribute much at Apopka

Originally posted by 307mac:
Bob Putnam[/B] @BobbyHomeTeam · 1h 1 hour ago

Wesley Chapel's Jordan Thompson is transferring to Apopka.
Just took a look at his 2014 clips on HUDL. Despite what EC said below, the kid actually runs pretty well without the benefit of a good Offensive Line. So with Chandler and JJ departing, he could compete for the third/fourth starting spot in the backfield. Wesley Chapel seems to run mostly out of the "I", So he is going to have to learn an entirely new system. But if he is coach-able, he will learn.

It has been five years since Apopka had a starter that did not begin school there in the 9th grade. That in of itself is testimony to the way Darlington runs his program. I wish this kid nothing but the best if he ends up being a Blue Darter or otherwise. After all, he has a very good last name :)!

Well Wesley Chapel has been horrible the last few years so perhaps his 85 carries for 244 yards (2.3/yc) is more of an indictment of his team and not him but that stat line is ugly. I have seen kids on bad teams do much more than that. Who knows maybe Sexy Beast can get mold him into the Hoka Hey Way. I just think any kid you get from in or around Apopka is going to be better than a kid from Wesley Chapel.

Originally posted by peezy28:
Well Wesley Chapel has been horrible the last few years so perhaps his 85 carries for 244 yards (2.3/yc) is more of an indictment of his team and not him but that stat line is ugly. I have seen kids on bad teams do much more than that. Who knows maybe Sexy Beast can get mold him into the Hoka Hey Way. I just think any kid you get from in or around Apopka is going to be better than a kid from Wesley Chapel.
Take a look and judge.

This post was edited on 12/17 5:37 PM by DarterBlue2

Soph Highlights

Ho Hum... something to keep in mind while watching is competition.. He plays in Pasco County he will look a lot slower with those Darters flying around. Still can't get past his stat line either. A better analogy would be he's a DII player and just transferred to FSU

This post was edited on 12/18 12:14 AM by peezy28

Did not say he would star at Apopka. Said, he would have a chance to compete for a spot. If you look at the video closely, he was not a beneficiary of very good blocking on most of his plays and he did seem to have good instincts.

Not every successful runner at Apopka has been of the 4.4 variety. Some like Tom Smith or for that matter Chandler Cox, have been of the slower, more punishing variety. As of now, with what I know we have coming back, I think he has a 50/50 shot of working his way into a starting spot on the team if he is a spring enrollee.

Originally posted by DarterBlue2:
Did not say he would star at Apopka. Said, he would have a chance to compete for a spot. If you look at the video closely, he was not a beneficiary of very good blocking on most of his plays and he did seem to have good instincts.

Not every successful runner at Apopka has been of the 4.4 variety. Some like Tom Smith or for that matter Chandler Cox, have been of the slower, more punishing variety. As of now, with what I know we have coming back, I think he has a 50/50 shot of working his way into a starting spot on the team if he is a spring enrollee.
Not sure how the rules work but I believe if he transfers now he cannot participate in the spring (maybe he can practice but I am not sure).

Originally posted by CABINET:
I don't see anything special!!!!
Never said he was special. Did say he could compete for a spot. Think he has a 50/50 chance if he does come to Apopka.

Obviously posted this in the wrong place...let me try again elsewhere.
This post was edited on 12/19 3:31 PM by BStreak

Bob Putnam[/B] @BobbyHomeTeam · 1h 1 hour ago

Wesley Chapel's Jordan Thompson is transferring to Apopka.

Jordan has had a good spring at Apopka and should be a starter in the fall. I expect he will contribute significantly to the ground game both running the football and blocking for others. I think this transfer has probably worked out well for both parties.

If Apopka has not had a starter in that many years not start at the school, then it is a complete statistical anomaly. If a kid is good he'll play. Take Lo Wood for example.

That community and the Wekiva area (and really the entire Orlando Metro area in general) has a very transient population.

Lo Wood was the last Varsity starter at Apopka to begin elsewhere (at Dp no less). But there have been other kids on the team over the last five years who at most played bit roles that did not begin their high school years at Apopka. In general, I think it is Darlington's preference to have kids in the system the entire four years as he tries real hard to get his kids to buy into being part of something bigger than the individual ...

On another note, Dp., looked pretty impressive last night at the jamboree at Bishop Moore. The Dp/Apopka game should be a real good one this September. I am glad the regular season rivalry is being rekindled.

The INT TD for Bishop Moore was a huge swing. DP's offense should be prolific, really up tempo.

In the first 6 weeks DP has Wekiva (8-3), West Orange (11-1), Lake Mary (11-1), Apopka (11-4), Mainland (13-1) and Oak Ridge (9-2). The team is loaded with juniors and sophomores.

Guess who inspired the schedule?

DP wanted to avoid Apopka in the regular season after the final 4 loss in 2012. I think what Apopka did last year was the icing on the cake. Who cares about 10-0.

Bishop Moore will be a force again. They'll be top 4-8 in CFla in my opinion. Lots of good teams.

Also Apopka is the team that I am most 'in the dark' with in Central Florida. I really do not know where they fit in. I may as well omit them from any ranking to be honest. Other teams in CFla I like, (outside DP/APK) in order:

Mainland
Osceola
West Orange
Cocoa
Bishop Moore
Lake Mary
Oak Ridge
Orange City University (just wait...)

DeLand could be a sleeper along with Oviedo, Lake Brantley and others. Bottom line is Central Florida may be the deepest area in the state now behind Dade/Broward/PBC.

If Apopka can adjust the offense to the loss of two players that have a shot at being in the NFL one day, they should be fine. I think the key will be how they adjust to not having monster tackle Ivey and an everything player Cox anymore. The offensive line will be young, but has a chance to be very good. So the running game should be fine with Burch and company. Burch has a decent arm but needs experience making his reads and throws.

On defense I don't expect any fall off from the front seven. The secondary has been an issue for several years, and it should be interesting to see whether there is much difference one way or the other. Apopka should contend for the district title, as I don't think Wekiva is ready to get over the hump yet. Beyond that, it may be unreasonable to expect a fourth consecutive run at a title so I will reserve judgment till we are at least halfway through the season. It will probably depend on how this team gels and how much the injury bug hits or avoids us.

Regardless, I think Apopka should start the season with the benefit of the doubt and a top 5/10 area ranking until proven otherwise.

Regardless, I think Apopka should start the season with the benefit of the doubt and a top 5/10 area ranking until proven otherwise.

+1 Darter. Same great coaching staff, same athletic playmakers, same neighborhood feeder grounds... what's not to like... until proven otherwise

Dan, looking forward to week 5 vs your Bucs. I have waited for the Mainland match up for years... Denzel Houston and Marvin Washington will both be great QBs.

Mid, I too have been waiting for this match up. Barring major injury, these games win or lose always make both combatants better. See you there...young fella

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT