ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 39-0 Desoto

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Tarpons outgunned the Dogs tonight, they played hard had some bright spots but wore out; they only had 23 kids dressed. Running clock last two minutes of the first half. No scoring the second half as Tarpons cleared the bench.

There were years in the 50s and 60s when Desoto thumped Charlotte when we were the team struggling to get enough players on the field. After 15 years, that changed when Fred Goldsmith got to town and from Junior High through High School we shut the dogs out - and my junior year they had Stroman and Lattimore who were part of the state 4x100 championship team.

This was a great old rivalry I'd like to see Desoto's kids stay home and give them a shot to build a playoff streak. When they're good, theyre very good. They produce some athletes.

So great to be able to watch a game live.

It’s funny that you even say that now. We have been saying it for years. This year is no different. 2 kids tonight on the Tarpons sidelines are DeSoto kids and 3 on PC’s against Hardee are DeSoto kids. Coach Egloff battle it and now so does coach Hay. You enjoyed the Belamey years and still bost about his games and achievements while wearing a Tarpon jersey, when the dude lived in Nocatee. Don’t come on here and say you now wish the kids would stay home. Charlotte and PC have been actively plucking kids for YEARS!!

Reactions: 863bestQB
The Plucking as you called it, is going on every where. Venice has a few kids on its roster that I believe came from the Charlotte County area, so its not all take....there's some give happening in Charlotte County too. Sorry you took last nights loss so hard, there again I guess you've really been carrying the losses to Charlotte HS over the years around as a pretty heavy burden Wilddog 10.......don't be a stranger and keep us updated on the DeSoto football team and its depleted roster.

Silver, the wife and I Friday morning decided to go find Charlotte HS, and wow what a nice campus! Decided to stay home primarily because of the seating limitation you mentioned compounded by the game being a traditionally well attended game game. The school is only a 5 minute ride away from the house, so maybe I'll catch a game this year.

Last edited:
Gatorman, that campus came as a result of Mother Nature's Renewal Program; Hurricane Charley. But it took seven years to rebuild. Your Canes opened up the new stadium in '07 as you remember; Brion hitting that bomb to set up the FG to win in the last few seconds. School reopened in 2010.

Wilddog we've been though this before, and I'm sorry you guys lose players - really. I know how it pisses you off, it would me too. But it happens, and Charlotte has been the recipient of it a lot less than most other area schools - Once that coach moved to PC, Desoto became a farm club for them over the last decade. Bellamy came because his uncle who only played at CHS as a senior (never even went out at Desoto) played here from Nocatee. I'll say it again, he was fun to watch, but aside from lots of blow outs against avearge or less competition, didn't take us anywhere those teams wouldn't have gone with the offensive weapons it had - those kids won a National Title in Pop Warner without him. IMO we'd have been better off with a couple of high quality O-linemen, that's where our limitations came from. Part of the reason Mike was so good was they had to respect the other weapons on that offense - we could throw the ball all over the place, two receivers with 1600 yards between them and had another 1,000 yard rusher - while trying to get everybody the ball.

All you can do is create the type of program where kids don't want to leave and sometimes that doesn't even work; we've lost players also. I'll also say I wish those guys didn't jump ship, they won't change the course of the season for Charlotte.

And trust me when I tell you, we've probably run over 10-1 relative to regular students to athletes over the years, who come to CHS from Desoto for academics, including some pretty big Desoto family names.

Last edited:
Gatorman, that campus came as a result of Mother Nature's Renewal Program; Hurricane Charley. But it took seven years to rebuild. Your Canes opened up the new stadium in '07 as you remember; Brion hitting that bomb to set up the FG to win in the last few seconds. School reopened in 2010.

Wilddog we've been though this before, and I'm sorry you guys lose players - really. I know how it pisses you off, it would me too. But it happens, and Charlotte has been the recipient of it a lot less than most other area schools - Once that coach moved to PC, Desoto became a farm club for them over the last decade. Bellamy came because his uncle who only played at CHS as a senior (never even went out at Desoto) played here from Nocatee. I'll say it again, he was fun to watch, but aside from lots of blow outs against avearge or less competition, didn't take us anywhere those teams wouldn't have gone with the offensive weapons it had - those kids won a National Title in Pop Warner without him. IMO we'd have been better off with a couple of high quality O-linemen, that's where our limitations came from.

All you can do is create the type of program where kids don't want to leave and sometimes that doesn't even work; we've lost players also. I'll also say I wish those guys didn't jump ship, they won't change the course of the season for Charlotte.

And trust me when I tell you, we've probably run over 10-1 relative to regular students to athletes over the years, who come to CHS from Desoto for academics, including some pretty big Desoto family names.

Brion to Eric Williams to setup the game winning FG. Brion had a arm that allowed to hit long one's like that here and there. That was that game that Dave Bristow (the play by play voice of the Manatee radio team),contacted me to see if I had recorded the radio broadcast, as it had apparently made a big impression on him as well in as far as snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

I also recall him saying of Bellamy. Bristow had headlined the Manatee defense as being one of the fastest defense's Joe had ever put on the field. At some point during the game Bellamy had broken a long run for a TD, and he was just flabbergasted that Bellamy was capable of increasing the space between himself and the closest Manatee defender on his way to crossing the goal line!

Reactions: Silver King
It’s funny that you even say that now. We have been saying it for years. This year is no different. 2 kids tonight on the Tarpons sidelines are DeSoto kids and 3 on PC’s against Hardee are DeSoto kids. Coach Egloff battle it and now so does coach Hay. You enjoyed the Belamey years and still bost about his games and achievements while wearing a Tarpon jersey, when the dude lived in Nocatee. Don’t come on here and say you now wish the kids would stay home. Charlotte and PC have been actively plucking kids for YEARS!!
Blame the parents and the me now generation and get over it... Your program needs to do something to make them want to stay... its a new game out there

That still don't make it easy, Peezy. I understand why he's upset, like I said I'd be too. That staff worked hard, playoffs last season.

We had a coach return to us from Lee County, and one of our other assitants take over his HC position at the school he vacated - think he told me he lost 17 (developed) players in two seasons to the hot schools in Lee. So open free agency now rules.

Different world? Yes. Better? That's laughable. School choice based on sports has made H.S. football completely irrelevant.

Easiest way to "get over it"? Turn your back.

Turn off the stupid internet and most of the me to generation and cancel culture will go away....Technology has ruined humans, dumb down instructors, teachers and students all alike. Where a teacher use to instruct now a computer instructs to a student.

This world has gone just plain dumb and stupid. Cut off all the internet for 6 months to a year, let these young kids get outside and see what its like to have a life off the phones, computers and tablets.

If the Titantic was here today and it was sinking all you would see is people in the water holding up their stupid phones taking a recording of it while it was sinking, while they themselves were in the water with sharks around them!!!

Unfortunately, they refer to this as "progress". We have become a nation of bitchers and moaners. If you haven't got anything to pitch a bitch about or aren't carrying a sign around and feeling sorry for yourself, then you're doing something wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT