ADVERTISEMENT

A different take on JW

I am sure ESPN will have a true 30 for 30 on him... He had his best and worst season all in the same... This guy is an enigma.

Peezy, I'm in the middle of listening to 247 podcast called "On the Bench", they've done a 3 part series on Taggart and have titled it "What went wrong with Willie". They paint a fairly painful picture of Willie on a number of different fronts, with the common theme being just general lack of organization. I was also surprised how close of a relationship Willie had with these guys, in as far as what he would discuss with them or seek them out for to attempt to control the media narrative. From a recruiting standpoint they make Willie sound like one huge Cluster F**K, with some of the personal stories they shared.

For myself while I never believed Willie was a good hire, I find it incredibly hard however to believe Willie was this unprepared to run a program of the size of FSU.......maybe he wasn't but it sure makes me wonder if there were other things going on behind the scene that caused Willie to loose his inward desire to be at FSU........but felt obligated to stay because it was supposed to be his dream job? Give it a listen, if you get some extra time.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
The worst thing is they lost 3 straight to the Canes who since beating Notre Dame that night in 2017 and reaching #2, are a pitiful 13-13 since.

Couple things for ya
1. The proof of what went on behind the scenes showed itself with the onfield results.
2. I have some inside knowledge of the whole Willie Saga from those close to Taggart..... There was definitely a extreme lack or organization but there was also no assistance on the back end to help his situation.
3. I am going to pass on the podcast only because its 247... Like a slanted news company I don't F with 247... Maybe if Josh Newberg wasn't on their payroll but as long as they employee people like him who fabric recruiting news and plays the I am gods gift to time role I will never support or give validation to anything developed by 247.

But I can tell by what your saying there is some truth to what they are saying on the podcast.

I don't really keep up with personalities unless I have some reason to have direct interaction. I do however understand completely your sentiments regarding "Newberg"........for me it was just a means of acquiring more information.......I still find it hard to believe Willie was such a colossal failure, that it required dismissing him 1 1/2 years into coaching at FSU. I had always thought Willie would be a 3-4 year bridge to a eventual coaching change, with him being a better than average recruiter it would keep FSU from a complete rebuild if and when that happen..................

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
I don't really keep up with personalities unless I have some reason to have direct interaction. I do however understand completely your sentiments regarding "Newberg"........for me it was just a means of acquiring more information.......I still find it hard to believe Willie was such a colossal failure, that it required dismissing him 1 1/2 years into coaching at FSU. I had always thought Willie would be a 3-4 year bridge to a eventual coaching change, with him being a better than average recruiter it would keep FSU from a complete rebuild if and when that happen..................

Go Canes Go!

Other than the lack of institutional control (which he had) and major missing in recruiting for trusting people he should have have trusted specifically the QB position I think a straw that broke his back (other than the abysmal loss to UM where we didnt look a day better than we did game 1 vs VTech) was a major personal issue that a player came to Willie with and he grossly mismanaged it... and apparently he lost some of his staff at that point specifically 2 of the guys that carried on to the new staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT