ADVERTISEMENT

8A North

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
ANOTHER EPIC BRACKET!

I usually attend the DP games come playoff time, and Magrino always announces statewide (especially 8A North) scores during the games... Every year there are plenty of OOHS and AAHS from the crowd when an upset is brewing.

---

MATCHUPS

DeLand @ First Coast --- Bulldog has been quiet but D-LAND is on quite a run.
Flagler Palm Coast @ Lake Mary --- I've got LM but FPC played First Coast tough

Apopka @ Oviedo --- I'll take Apopka, they're the best 4-loss team in the state
Timber Creek @ West Orange --- Wow, best 8A matchup outside of Miramar-Monarch IMO

Bloomingdale @ Dr. Phillips --- Trap game for DP. Bloomingdale played Plant tough
Boone @ Plant --- Ditto for Plant. Boone is much improved. I'll take Plant @ DP rematch

St. Pete @ Vero Beach --- Lots of parity here, tough to call since SP has offense.
Fort Pierce Central @ Manatee --- Manatee fans came in humble, I've got Canes in elite 8.

POST THOUGHTS!

Predictions:

First Coast 31, DeLand 20
Lake Mary 31, Flagler Palm Coast 21

Apopka 35, Oviedo 28
West Orange 45, Timber Creek 35

Dr. Phillips 21, Bloomingdale 10
Plant 27, Boone 10

Vero Beach 31, St. Petersburg 30
Manatee 24, Ft. Pierce Central 17

Any predictions? This bracket is too good for this thread to become a conversation with myself...

I'll make it one... don't think I won't...

I had the felling after seeing St Petersburg play Manatee that there is a good chance they will meet again in week 2 of the playoffs. St. Petersburg running game has an interesting and tough to defend misdirection and multiple handoffs running game. Manatee's young team is maturing nicely and at the right time. Johnny Lang is a work horse and overload on him then Manatee has speed all over the offense to go to. McKnight (Ace Sander's cousin) is an excellent receiver as well.

I believe there will be several upsets in the first round. Manatee and Dp could be gone, as could West Orange if Patrick has a game for the ages. Apopka's chances against Oviedo depend on whether the Apopka of the early part of the season or the final three games comes to play. If the early Apopka comes they get to round 2. If the Apopka that lost to Edgewater or beat Olympia comes to play, Oviedo wins.

Agree... The 8A-5 and 8A-6 match ups are very interesting.

Bloomingdale (9-1) @ Dr. Phillips (10-0)
Boone (6-4) @ Plant (9-1)
***Boone lost to West Orange, Timber Creek, Apopka and DP - all 8A playoff teams

8A-3 and 8A-4 is all about individual match ups. West Orange will put points on the board against Timber Creek, but if Patrick is able to get 5 to 7 yards a carry consistently and keep time of possession on TC's side (like they did against DP week 1), then Timber Creek has a shot... I think Apopka will handle Oviedo but I have been wrong quite a few times on playoff predictions in the past.

West Orange is my final four pick out of region 1, and region 2 is a toss-up... I like Plant, DP or Manatee, in that order.

Don't quite remember Patrick doing that to DP, he only had 132yds rushing... his lowest output of the year

DP did in fact hold Patrick to his lowest total of 132 which is a really good day for most guys.

I don't see Boone doing much with Plant though.

Agree Peezy, Plant should have their way with Boone.... DP's defense should contain Bloomingdale's QB and it will be another DP/Plant game this time in Orlando

I think Vero Beach beats St. Pete. St. Pete played very well against Manatee minus special teams but I don't see them being able to keep pace with the Vero Beach offense, especially if they fall behind being that they run a wing-t offense.

I can't shake the feeling that this FPC team has something for my Canes. Battle tested and confident that they can run with the big dogs. I think FPC is primed for the upset.

Manatee has a very good defense. I expect this game to be low scoring. Can FPC hold Johnnie Lang in check? Not many have been able to for four quarters. It should be a great game to watch.

Originally posted by Manatee Magic:
Planning on going to the FPC game this Friday. Can't wait. Should be a good one.
I will be there as well. Win or not there will be no lack of motivation on Manatee's part stemming from last year's playoff loss. Teams have been able to slow Johnny Lang by keying on him but eventually he will break for his yards, usually later in the game where he seems to always finish strong. Only Ware Co, GA was able to bottle him up for the whole game and they are highly ranked and their defense is considered to be very stout.

Lakers... I was at the game between Timber Creek and DP. I believe two of Timber Creek's drives went 7+ minutes... that's a big chunk of the game. Patrick was in the wildcat all night and they barely threw a pass.

a few penalties helped those drives, but that's nothing new.....
I have a question about Bloomingdale's QB number 1.... I noticed that he didn't play against Plant or in their game on Friday. Just wondering if anyone knew why?

Apopka's inconsistency on defense has been a big head-scratcher this season. DB mentioned the early Apopka vs. the late Apopka, but don't forget the meltdown in the season opener vs. Oak Ridge. There, Apopka led 23-14 with less than 4 minutes left and got beat 28-23 as OR drove 89 yards in about 30 seconds to win. In the 46-42 loss to Edgewater, the Eagles drove 80 yards in 29 seconds, winning on a 45-yard pass play as time expired.

The problem for Apopka has been a team that has a mobile QB who is also pretty accurate with the pass and has pretty good and athletic WRs.

Apopka is just 6-4 but in four of their wins, they have given up a total of 14 points. In the other two wins, they've given up a total of 35 points. In their four losses, they've given up 28, 45, 30, and 46. The key thread running through all four losses is having a very athletic, accurate QB with talented, athletic WRs.

Regarding Timber Creek and West Orange, I am among the legion who expect WO to win, but if TC can get Jacques Patrick running consistently, moving the chains and then scoring TDs, they certainly have a chance. They've got to keep the WO offense on the sideline to have a chance. WO will win a shootout with most anybody, but certainly with TC.

I agree with Pipe Dreams about the Apopka-Oviedo score. If Apopka plays well, the Darters will win, I think. I am picking Apopka by about a TD. I would expect WO to beat TC by at least a TD, if not a couple or more, depending on how well Patrick is able to run the ball.

JP, that is true. They did lose to Oakridge. But after that, the team seemed fine. Pretty much all the way through the loss to American Heritage, which, BTW, I would not attribute to the defense: at least not to the secondary. But against Edgewater, they were terrible. And it was not just the secondary. In fact many of Edgewater's long passing touchdowns were more like rushing touchdowns as short passes ended up going for mega yards (sort of like the State Title Game last December). And, against Olympia, let's just say, we were lucky they had nothing in them. For Apopka could easily have been down two scores at the end of the first quarter. And, while the team rallied back, I am not sure the Apopka edge was there.

To some extent the last two games reminded me of a game several years ago when Ty E was head coach and East Ridge took us apart. In the second half of that game, for about the first time I have been a fan, the Apopka team seemed to have quit before my eyes. That is not something one often sees.

If Apopka comes to play, they should win. And by more than a touchdown, as Oviedo is not long on talent. However, we will see what we will see. My heart is always with APK. But my head tells me to prepare for the worst.

Originally posted by APKnewzguy:
Apopka's inconsistency on defense has been a big head-scratcher this season. DB mentioned the early Apopka vs. the late Apopka, but don't forget the meltdown in the season opener vs. Oak Ridge. There, Apopka led 23-14 with less than 4 minutes left and got beat 28-23 as OR drove 89 yards in about 30 seconds to win. In the 46-42 loss to Edgewater, the Eagles drove 80 yards in 29 seconds, winning on a 45-yard pass play as time expired.

The problem for Apopka has been a team that has a mobile QB who is also pretty accurate with the pass and has pretty good and athletic WRs.

Apopka is just 6-4 but in four of their wins, they have given up a total of 14 points. In the other two wins, they've given up a total of 35 points. In their four losses, they've given up 28, 45, 30, and 46. The key thread running through all four losses is having a very athletic, accurate QB with talented, athletic WRs.

Regarding Timber Creek and West Orange, I am among the legion who expect WO to win, but if TC can get Jacques Patrick running consistently, moving the chains and then scoring TDs, they certainly have a chance. They've got to keep the WO offense on the sideline to have a chance. WO will win a shootout with most anybody, but certainly with TC.

I agree with Pipe Dreams about the Apopka-Oviedo score. If Apopka plays well, the Darters will win, I think. I am picking Apopka by about a TD. I would expect WO to beat TC by at least a TD, if not a couple or more, depending on how well Patrick is able to run the ball.
I may be wrong but I think Timber Creek lost their QB and Patrick has been playing QB and wildcat mostly. If that is the case it will be hard for them to win with him trying to run the ball 40 times out of the wildcat. I mean he is good and will still get his but not sure their defense can stop WO enough to allow Patrick to keep it close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT